Veteran v green

Started by Jim Ando, 04 May 2017, 09:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Ando

Hi
Just got the rules and have been looking the veteran and green unit rules. So  veteran units are suppressed on a 4+ while green troops are suppressed on a 6 by response or opportunity. Is this right or is it a typo.
Jim.

Zypheria

I think it's intentional, veterans knows what happens in a frontal assault and in H-t-H combat and just want survive the war, and greens are a poor guys anxious to start the fight and unaware of real "war live" (and what happens when you run directly against a MG-42/Cal.30)

Dr Dave

It might be right. Veterans are wiser, green troops don't know any better. Or perhaps not. Not sure.

Ithoriel

Veterans knew when to keep their heads down.

Green formations are/ were often used to open assaults as they were less likely to go to ground.

Of course they then took higher casualties and the survivors were the ones who'd learned to keep their heads down!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Yep. it's intentional for the reasons given. 

Orcs

Veterans are more likely to go to ground and should be harder to hit. They should be less likely to be supressesd as the are experienced and know what's coming.

Green troops should be both easy to hit and supress as they are both more likely to storm forward and  more likely to panic when bad things happen.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Jim Ando

Cheers

A lot clearer now.

Jim

Leonardo

Hallo, so it's more easy suppress veterans unit that green unit. But an unit suppress cannot fire o move and can fall-back and ko.
Very strange.

Orcs

Quote from: Orcs on 05 May 2017, 10:07:49 AM
Veterans are more likely to go to ground and should be harder to hit. They should be less likely to be supressesd as the are experienced and know what's coming.

Green troops should be both easy to hit and supress as they are both more likely to storm forward and  more likely to panic when bad things happen.

To clarify this veterans should be both harder to hit and harder to supress than green troops
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sediment

Quote from: Leonardo on 07 May 2017, 12:34:51 AM
Hallo, so it's more easy suppress veterans unit that green unit. But an unit suppress cannot fire o move and can fall-back and ko.
Very strange.

p68 Veterans .... may fall back any distance (more than 10cm) without being knocked out.

Similar to recce units in that respect.

Cheers, Andy

toxicpixie

I heartily approve of this change :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

barbarian

07 May 2017, 01:11:09 PM #11 Last Edit: 07 May 2017, 01:14:35 PM by barbarian
That is TWO special rules for Veteran then. Not really elegant.

And you obtain the contrary of what you would expect from Elit troops : Fight better and carry on the mission even in front of heavy loss.
Now they hunker down and fall back further.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Judging by actual combat reports it's probably accurate, tbh.

Given the way BKC works it's an elegant solution - ideally you'd track morale/elan separately from training with maybe a brittleness rating etc etc.

But that reflects well that experienced formations were often a bit windy, and often unwilling to risk themselves too much.

"Elite" is a bit of a misnomer that wargamera are fond of but doesn't really reflect conditions in the ground.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

I can understand the reasoning about this.

Veterans are not always better at fighting, but better at surviving.

toxicpixie