world war 1

Started by raykey, 03 October 2015, 01:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raykey

having read the post on your plans for BKC 2 and your comments on army lists any chance of a set for WW1

toxicpixie

Pete was never impressed with the idea of covering WW1 but I reckon that's a good question - any ideas from the new broom?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Fenton

There was a Canadian gentleman who write a WW1 conversion for BKC1. Can't remember his name though
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

Just found it
http://canuckcommander.pbworks.com/w/page/14311310/WW1%20Wargaming
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Shedman

Having done the Russo-Japanese war using BKC2 I can safely say it is a real drag due to the shear number of bases involved. Although I've not seen the WW1 variant posted by canuckcommander I used the same organisation of 12 stands to a battalion. With 5 battalions per side plus supporting troops the game was really slow due to the number of dice rolls for firing, saves and suppression and the fact that everything moved at 10cm per order

See http://twomarshals.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/feng-aoliu-rjw-battle-using-blitzkrieg.html for the AAR

Having said that I found that a severely hacked version of FWC worked really well for thr 1959 Franco-Austrian war in Italy

For once I had to agree with Pete  ;D

toxicpixie

The mechanisms do big down horribly wth large numbers of troops all in relatively small areas... Thinking about it id be tempted to do something like (as I understand it) Great War Spearhead did and rewrite the rules from a viewpoint of one stand equals one company, and maybe go with a step loss mechanism (eg 3 dice fire for a normal company, has hits 6, stamina 3, so rack up six hits on them in a turn & lose a point of stamina, suffer a loss of one dice on firing, always have minimum one dice fire. Larger or more robust companies might have more stamina, or less motivated/smaller companies need less hits t generate a step loss? Lose all stamina and the company goes).

Could keep the command mechanisms & arty the same? Just thinking out loud here really!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

It is something we'd like to at least look at, but it would be a long way down the line yet.  We've got the BKC/CWC/FWC revamps first, which takes us through to the end of 2016 at least, then there's the Warband historicals to fit in as well, plus some other Commander supplements that we want to look at.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!