Navwar Ancient Naval Starter Packs

Started by paulr, 30 April 2017, 03:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Hopefully someone can assist with a few questions I have on Navwar's Ancient Naval Starter Packs.

There are four different packs:
AGSFP1 Hellenistic
AGSFP2 Roman
AGSFP3 Phoenician
AGSFP4 Carthaginian

and the catalogue says
"Each contains 12 packs (approximately 22 vessels) of navwar's 1:1200th scale white metal ship models and basic painting guide and Fleet Composition Guidelines."

Does anyone know what mix of vessels each pack contains? I'm particularly interested in the Hellenistic and Phoenician packs.

I am also keen to know the size of one or more of the vessel types; length and 'width' including the oars.

Do the vessels come with mast/sail that can be glued in or not? (The Lembus are noted as no sails)

Any help appreciated
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't recall the proportions - it was decades ago for me - but the mast and sails are separate from the hull, and the models are very pretty indeed.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Paul,

I have biremes, triremes, quadriremes, quinquiremes, hexeremes and a heptereme from Navwar for my Rome vs Carthage fleets and am basing them on 30mm hex bases. They are all around the 28mm to 32mm mark in length and vary roughly between 10 and 15 mill across the oars (which are integral to the hull). Sails are separate, I've omitted mine as they were not normally carried in battle.

Lembi and merchant ships are considerably smaller at around 15 to 20mm in length.

Despite the difference in nominal scales Tumbling Dice are not hugely smaller and could possibly be mixed in to give a little variety. We're talking 10mm vs 12mm not 15mm vs 25mm types of disparity, if that makes sense. Tumbling Dice warships have a separate base with the oars modelled on, which put me off them but has proved useful in giving me a couple of beached triremes for a harbour model I'm working on!

Langton ships are slightly bigger, much more expensive but beautiful models. I have their siege quinqireme, a wrecked quinquireme and a couple of merchant ships. The quinqs are not so much longer that you notice, though they sit higher in the water. The merchant ships are sea going vessels, the Navwar ones are coastal traders. The grain ship is ginormous, as it should be, being only slightly smaller dimensions to scale than those given for the 1200 ton "Isis" when she docked at Piraeus. The latter model is about 50mm long.

Does that help?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Thanks both, that helps with all but the pack contents

If only I could email Navwar ~X(

I'm looking at some fairly large fleets so the price advantage of Navwar is significant (even after the high overseas postage) and ordering from one supplier avoids two lots of postage :-\

Ithoriel

If I remember (my aging memory is not what it was) and if no one comes up with a pack composition before then, I'm happy to ring Tony next Saturday when he's in the shop and ask.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

That would be very much appreciated, the toll call for me would not be cheap and the difference in time zones would make it a real pain

Ithoriel

Paul, all being well, the attached picture shows the fleet compositions for the 4 NAVWAR Ancients fleet packs.

Hopefully, I've got the correct details! Hand-written ( or more accurately, hand-scribbled) notes taken during the call and transcribed later run the risk of scribal error!

Hope it's useful.

If nothing else it was an excuse for a very pleasant chat about ships, gaming and life in general with Tony. :)

paulr

Many many thanks Ithoriel

That will be very useful for my planning. As I suspected the Phoencian Starter packs will feature heavily in my order once I have some rules sorted

The Hellenistic has more Quadriremes than I was expecting so I am very glad you were able to ask on my behalf

Thanks again and very glad you had a pleasant chat