British Army - 3" Mortars.

Started by terry68, 28 April 2017, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry68

Hello all on the Forum!

Rules arrived on Wednesday, really well laid out and the 'new' rules certainly make sections more clear.

My first query is about the British 3" mortar stat line in all the British Army Lists.

I'll list the stat line:

Pts 75, Mv 10,  AP 2/80,  AT 2/80,  CA 3, Hits 6,  Limit 0-3 Notes - nothing

Question: Should the AP and AT be 3/100 AP, 3/100 AT with the Pts altered accordingly and in the Notes have Defensive, Deploy, Indirect, Remote, Smoke as all the other Platoon Mortar stats for the other Armies?

My first thought is the Note section should have all the abilities, but the effectiveness may be different.

Cheers

Terry.

Leon

The lower stats are all correct but it's a typo in the Notes, they should have the same 'Defensive, Deploy, Indirect, Remote, Smoke' as other mortars in the lists.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

I can understand the stats being lower for early war, the first 3" mortar rounds were quite under-powered. But they soon were improved, and where then much the same as everyone else's medium mortars - and certainly so at the granularity level of BKC
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

They are 2/80 in 1940 in bkc2, but they become 3/120 in bkc2 after Feb 43. 

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Remember until sometime in 42 there were only 2 tubes in a British Battalion mortar platoon. It's also short ranged, the bombs tended to break up and it had a CEP the size of Wembley stadium.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

terry68

Thanks to all for the replies!

I thought that the effectiveness would be right, as each stand is a 'platoon' so depends how many tubes are in a battery etc. It was really the notes section, which as Leon has explained was a typo.
I don't have the earlier versions of BKC, so I can't compare the current stats.

Thanks again.

Terry.

Dr Dave

When the rules were originally conceived the number of systems in a "platoon" was never factored in. Peter Jones stated as much several times. Characteristics and capabilities were based solely on an individual example of the type represented. Otherwise a platoon of 3x T-34 wouldn't much use vs a platoon of 5x PzVI. So, as I understood it, a model represented a number of systems (I usually divide OOBs by 4 to get to the number of models I need).

If it was down to real platoon strength then the number of hits would vary widely surely, as it its a mortar platoon always has 6 hits.

I think it's a typo.