What is happening with CWC?

Started by Leon, 27 April 2017, 12:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

With BKC-III now released and out there, this has become the number 1 question we're being asked!

So, Cold War Commander II is next in the queue to be done.  The plan will be similar to BKC-III in that the rules themselves will be updated and refreshed, plus the book will get a full design/formatting revamp as well.  The army lists may be checked and tweaked, but not altered in any major way.  The only change will be that we might take out the Korean War lists and put those into a separate supplement based on BKC-III instead.

So, the current jobs list is as follows:

1.  Changes/tweaks to the rules themselves to bring them into line with BKC-III (depending on feedback for the new rules).
2.  Fixes to anything raised in feedback on the old BKC site.
3.  Minor tweaks to the army lists.
4.  Reformatting of the layout and new photos throughout.

The estimated release date for this will be Salute 2018, so we'll start work over the summer, get a draft copy done by the end of the year for the playtester/feedback group, then we can get it off to the printers in March 2018.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

Good to hear Leon. I think dropping Korea makes sense as, to my mind, it feels more like a WWII conflict than a Cold War one.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Been trying to get people to see that for years !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 27 April 2017, 02:59:44 PM
Been trying to get people to see that for years !

Hear hear !!   :-bd   A supplimnet for Korea has been talked about in an earlier thread.

It would be the best approach - for example it would  allow a better appreciation for the Sherman M4A3E8 with well trained crew engagin T34/85, and a host of other anomalies that mark Korea as a tranisition conflict - discreet from WW2 yet not quite modern.

Astronomican

Does this mean that anything post-ww2 and up-to the Korean War era will be separated, or just Korea?

tankette

Not sure what is gained by removing the post WW2 Army Lists. Korea, Indo-China, etc are part of Cold War history even though the equipment is WW2 vintage.

One suggestion I would make; instead of keeping precision guided munitions (PGM) strictly to aircraft, expand it to relative artillery units. One glaring ommission is the inability of the US M109 Paladin to fire the M712 COPPERHEAD. The Soviet's also have a similar self-propelled artillery vehicle that can fire PGMs.

Another suggestion is the line of site (LOS) of AA units. It seems self-defeating to have long ranges, but then force them to have a LOS to a "spot on the ground" in order to engage the aircraft. Given the long range and various terrain features, its unlikely an AA unit would be able to use its advantage of range due to blocking terrain. This rule should be tweaked. Also, making the aircraft actually travel to its attack position, allows AA opportunity fire. In addition, various vehicles have an AAMG mounted on the turret. Consider making a rule for these weapons too. It could be somthing as simple as a short range and one or two shots.

Just some thoughts. Thanks, Mitch

Cept that the US Army did not issue copperhead, the round works fine but they found it extremely hard to train people to use it.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

tankette

Please make sure to include the US MK19 40mm Grenade Launcher and the Soviet ABS-17 Grenade Launcher. These are tripod and/or vehicle mounted automatic grenade launchers. They are infantry support weapons, not the common launcher mounted under a small arms weapon. The old CWC site had some discussion but no posted resolution or stats.

Thanks,
Mitch

Shedman

And as an aside on 23rd / 24th September we are doing one of our 6mm CWC WW3 mega-games up in Grimsby

Dr Dave

The complete lack of any night vision for anything other than vehicles was also a glaring oversight in cwc1.

howayman

Okay silly question but. . . . what is happening to CWC ?

Leon

Quote from: howayman on 31 January 2018, 10:07:10 PM
Okay silly question but. . . . what is happening to CWC ?

Currently nothing, we've got to get BKC-III all sorted out and back to the printers before we start looking at CWC-II unfortunately.

:(
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Itinerant Hobbyist

BKC IV is finally coming out in early April!  I've got to think this means CWC fans will be next. I have no insight, just being hopeful for you all.

Big Insect

Well ... I couldn't possible comment about CWC being next  ;)  ... but if you have any asks and/or errata, I am going to set up a separate CWC Changes & Errata thread to start collecting these.

I also strongly advise buying BKCIV as a lot of house rules being played in BKC and CWC have found their way into BKCIV. It will give you a chance to test some things and see how they might work out for CWCII

Although I am lobbying Leon for a Great War Commander set ...  ;D

Cheers

Mark  
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Big Insect on 26 March 2019, 06:38:56 PM
Although I am lobbying Leon for a Great War Commander set ...  ;D

I don't need another new period .... but .... OOH! YES!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data