SELWG Show Report!

Started by Leon, 22 October 2010, 04:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

22 October 2010, 04:02:00 AM Last Edit: 22 October 2010, 04:05:12 AM by Leon
We were down in London this past weekend for the SELWG show.  We set off down at 8am on the Saturday morning, and got as far as Doncaster before the van decided it didn't fancy a trip darn sarf, and started being rather lethargic going up hills.  So after a frantic call home, we sourced a hire van, drifted back to Pendraken HQ, and swopped all the stock over.  As a result, it was about 6pm by the time we reached our hosts house in Hemel.  It was a bit of a crappy start to the weekend, so we went to the pub for a beer.  

Sunday morning, the sun was shining as we navigated our way through the capital, and we got to the venue just after 8.  It's a nice venue, with a good sized car park.

The main downside with the venue is the distance you have to carry the stock to get to the stand.  The van's park up on the other side of the bollards, so you've got to come towards the camera, then along the walkway in the pic above.

Luckily, there are a lot of trolley's available to the traders, and we have also customised our own roll cage now, which can take 5 racks at a time.  

Inside, the show is held mainly in the Main Hall:

with the rest of the traders up on the Balcony:

and the Bring and Buy situated against the back wall of the balcony:

We've been down in the Main Hall previously, but this year we were moved up to the Balcony.  Setting up took slightly longer than usual, so we were just putting the finishing touches to the stand when the show opened.  It was reasonably busy, with a good number of people milling about.  I think overall it felt a bit quieter than last year, but not by much.  We had the new Japanese tanks with us, which sold very slowly!  You can never tell how the new stuff is going to sell, at the last show in Forfar, we sold out of all the Jap stuff by midday, this show only a few packs all day!  Odd.

I'd done up some more Dungeons for this show, and another 2 people decided to delve into 10mm Dungeon crawling, which was good.  The Booster Pack will be available before the weekend, so keep an eye out for that.  

During the day, we had a few visitors, including Sandinista, doublesix and andysmodels, who popped by to have a chat with the Naps designer about the new range.  The whole day seemed to pass very quickly, with the three of us taking turns manning the stand, as we only had room for one chair behing the table!  I managed to catch up with a friend from London who popped over to see us, and promptly got collared into helping us pack up at the end of the day!

I realised about 2-ish that I hadn't got any pics yet, so I went for a wander about to grab some shots of the games.  While I was wandering, I bumped into Germy, had a chat about the Dungeon's, and admired the display game he had put on (pics below).

We started closing down just after 3, and had to wait for the all clear from the organisers to start taking the racks out at about 4:30pm.  It took about an hour to get everything into the van, and we set off for the long journey home, dropping our host off in Hemel, and getting home just after midnight!  Then of course we had to empty the van, ready for Dave to take it back to the hire place at 7am Monday morning!

All in all, the weekend didn't go quite as well as planned, but we had fun anyway!

So, the pics:

An excellent WW2 game:

Germy's game:

And some others:

And just the one Cat in the Hat pic:
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

That first WWII table is awesome. God only knows how much time they spent on that but it was worth it.

Paint it Pink

I unfortunately had to miss SELWG this year due to the NHS requiring me have a weeks worth of IVF anti-biotics followed by an emergency operation on the Friday before the event, and subsequent post-op recovery. Well, I suppose I saved myself some money to spend at the next show I go to, hopefully Warfare.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Leon

Quote from: Paint it Pink on 22 October 2010, 05:10:31 PM
I unfortunately had to miss SELWG this year due to the NHS requiring me have a weeks worth of IVF anti-biotics followed by an emergency operation on the Friday before the event, and subsequent post-op recovery. Well, I suppose I saved myself some money to spend at the next show I go to, hopefully Warfare.

That doesn't sound too good!   :o

Hope you're good to go for Warfare.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

Some nice looking games their. Thanks for the pics Leon.

But can someone tell me what this ones all about?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

nikharwood

Looks like an aerial combat game where they're not raising the planes off the ground  :(

I guess the white hexes are clouds?

Bit naff if I'm right  :-\

If I'm wrong, it must be a aircraft-ground-combat game - where you drive your plane along the floor trying to shoot your opponent, all the while avoiding the large snowdrifts  :P :D

fred.

You could be right.

But what about all the clipboards and egg boxes? It rather looks like an accountants convention, with a few biplanes. (:|

Is the green card board thing down the middle meant to be trenches? The scale seems all wrong between the planes and the ground.

For a display game it really is rather poorly put together.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred12df on 22 October 2010, 08:42:25 PM
But can someone tell me what this ones all about?

I'm afraid I don't have much info, I didn't get chance to stop and watch for long.

I would guess at this:

Quote from: nikharwood on 22 October 2010, 08:50:31 PM
Looks like an aerial combat game where they're not raising the planes off the ground  :(

I guess the white hexes are clouds?

DaveH

I did make it down to SELWG and picked up a Zulu war pack - didn't introduce myself though.

Megamatman

Quote from: Leon on 22 October 2010, 04:02:00 AM
...We set off down at 8am on the Saturday morning, and got as far as Doncaster before the van decided it didn't fancy a trip darn sarf, and started being rather lethargic going up hills.  So after a frantic call home, we sourced a hire van, drifted back to Pendraken HQ, and swopped all the stock over...

It's bloody typical!  :)  Phones, Website and now the Van explodes.  At least thats three things - so nothing will *ever* break down again  ;D
Megamatman

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Leon on 22 October 2010, 04:02:00 AM
An excellent WW2 game:

You don't say!  Good God, that table looks spectacular...  :x

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leon

Quote from: Megamatman on 26 October 2010, 12:06:58 PM
It's bloody typical!  :)  Phones, Website and now the Van explodes.  At least thats three things - so nothing will *ever* break down again  ;D

Important van related news coming soon...

Pruneau

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 26 October 2010, 11:46:53 PM
You don't say!  Good God, that table looks spectacular...  :x

Cheers,
Aart

I'm with the two other fellows on this one.  Amazing how real it looks.  They must have taken some old war pic and just recreated it, everything looks just right.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ