WSS w/ Maurice Rules

Started by DFlynSqrl, 24 April 2017, 09:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFlynSqrl

Ever since the "not for me" topic a month or so ago, I've been thinking about expanding my gaming horizons.  Besides some dabbling in AWI, most of my historical gaming is Napoleonic or later.  Quite a few folks seem to enjoy the WSS and SYW so I did some reading and took an interest in both, but leaning more towards WSS.  I generally like the rules by Sam Mustafa, and read some favorable opinions of it here, so decided to grab Maurice.  It's currently in the mail along with the cards. 

My difficulty is that after browsing the Pendraken goodies I realized that unless I just order the army packs I really don't have a good idea of where to start.

My thoughts are along the lines of either...
1)  Pick a particular battle and paint units based on the OOBs.
2)  Pick units from a campaign and assume in a generic scenario there is the chance they would have participated.

From what I've learned it also looks like for Maurice you pick your army as either Infantry and Cavalry which establishes the ratio of Infantry to Cavalry in your army.
So should I consider to get a real flavor of the period?
1)  Infantry vs. Infantry    [seems like the default to me for getting started in most rules]
2)  Cavalry vs. Cavalry
3)  Infantry vs. Cavalry

Any suggestions from the experienced WSS gamers on this would greatly appreciated.  For the record I have done some searching through old threads to get some recommended reading and such, so hopefully this doesn't read like I'm just rehashing an old thread. 

Rod

Glorfindel

I've just started down the WSS road as well and have picked an
'Order of Battle' as a guide.   In this case, I bought the excellent
'Ramillies' Osprey which has a detailed OOB.  I chose to start with 
Marlborough's army and found some brigades which include different
nationalities as this provides variety in uniform colours.   

I started with the Danes - seven battalions in all, making up two
small brigades.   Seemed manageable.   I'll try to post some pics
tomorrow.

I was also inspired by an old Wargames Illustrated (314 ?) which
is a WSS themed issue and gives advice on army building.

I've always found that historical OOBs really help when you have
limited knowledge, particularly with the ratio of horse / foot / artillery.

With respect to flags, I would recommend Maverick Models - worth
every penny.

Sorry that I can't help with the Maurice rules.

Phil

toxicpixie

Maurice structures armies in something like 1:1 max to 1:3 minimums - so anywhere from one cavalry to one infantry to one cavalry to three infantry or vice versa, about a dozen units total per side each of four bases - base size isn't vital, but we use 30mm square with six foot or three horse, half that for lights.

That's for the generic game and from memory so apologies if I'm a bit off :D And there's some room to wriggle anyway on figure numbers and base sizes :)

I'd go pretty generic and just pick half a dozen infantry regiments and cavalry units that you can identify flags & uniforms for (Bacchus has some good simple guides!), from two sides (Anglo-Allied gives Dutch & British in the main, then you can slot in lots of minor "subsidy"/Mercedes troopsnthat take your fancy, French gives French, Bavarians, plus a fair few bits and bobs) and paint up. You can fill in the megalomania for Ramillies or Blenheim later :D

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Nick the Lemming

I'd echo what others have said above; if you want to choose a particular battle like Ramilies (I was going to suggest that one too) pick out a division or two that you like the look of, and base your units on them. You can add to them in the future if you want to, while any battle you do can be a small part of the battlefield where opposing divisions got stuck in. We've used Maurice for some pretty big battles, but not any really large ones. When we have, we've tended to treat a unit as a division or even brigade rather than a battalion.

If you have any questions on Maurice when you get it by the way, feel free to ask here or on the Honour forum, there are a few of us who'd be happy to offer help or advice in both places.

sunjester

We started off with an Army pack each then just added a few units here and there. At least that was the intention but watch out for the addictive essence Dave and Leon add to their casting alloy. It's particularly bad with the WSS range I discovered :- "An army pack plus a few units" has grown into 40+ 24-man battalions, 24+ cavalry units and quite a few guns.

Despite the impression given by English language sources, most of the war was not fought by the Anglo-Dutch army, so Last Hussar and I have a collection of French/Bavarian/Italian/Austrian/German units. There was going to be a British contingent, but 5/6 years on they still are yet to be seen on the table! (Orcs, are your ears burning? :d :d)

Leman

Just for interests sake, an useful suggestion was made in the WS&S magazine: in a multiplayer game use two packs of Maurice cards, but take out one set of the remove after use cards to give a better game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Quote from: sunjester on 25 April 2017, 07:34:55 AM
There was going to be a British contingent, but 5/6 years on they still are yet to be seen on the table! (Orcs, are your ears burning? :d :d)

That's fine, more than happy to pay for British & Dutch money to pay Germans to die to the last man! And Danes, Prussians, Austrians, Spaniards, Savoyards etc etc.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DFlynSqrl

It's really feels weird diving into a period that's so new as compared to something like WWII where I can name theaters, units, etc... This will be fun and I'm already enjoying the research.  Thank you for all the suggestions on getting started with my armies.

I did receive my book and cards yesterday!  :)

I'm not sure where I got the picking Infantry or Cavalry as the focus of the army though.  Looks like Maurice you build "forces" of like units based on points with whatever mix of infantry, cavalry, and artillery.  I may have got that "Beneath the Lilly Banner" since I also bought those rules and "Black Powder".

Rod

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 25 April 2017, 02:07:07 PM

I'm not sure where I got the picking Infantry or Cavalry as the focus of the army though.  Looks like Maurice you build "forces" of like units based on points with whatever mix of infantry, cavalry, and artillery.  I may have got that "Beneath the Lilly Banner" since I also bought those rules and "Black Powder".

Rod

p. 16, Principal Arm. :)

DFlynSqrl