New Rules for WWI in the Middle East

Started by Terry37, 24 April 2017, 09:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

24 April 2017, 09:09:44 PM Last Edit: 24 April 2017, 09:14:53 PM by Terry37
My friends Bob Carter and Alex Testo of  DBN Napoleonic Wargaming have just released a new set of rules for gaming WWI in the Middle east. Being a WWI fan I was delighted to see them, as I am a dedicated fan of their Napoleonic rules, DBN. I have in my library their DBN and DBACW rues, and am happy to be adding these as well. If you know the quality of their other rules you will understand why.

I've only had a chance to look at them, but as usual they look very complete, and I was anxious to share the news. The Middle East is a popular theater for WWI, and these rules encompass more than just the Australians and Ottomans, covering it looks like all of the forces involved.

For me a picture is worth a thousand words, so I wrote Bob and asked if he had any photos he could share with me. He did and here are a few to give you a flavor for the game. Looks like Bob games them in 10 MM, while I will stay with my usual 15 MM, in which case I will be using less figures per element.

If you are interested, the rules can be ordered from their web site. Here's the link

http://www.dbnwargaming.co.uk/

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

Are these rules based on DBA or am I Barkering up the wrong tree?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, out out out  !!!!!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

;D ;D ;D ..... but are they based on DBA/M? I did not have a great experience with DBM.

toxicpixie

Looking at the playsheets on the downloads section and from memory or seeing them in action, the answer is "Yes, but...".
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

No, you are indeed "Barkering up the right tree"! I am devoted DBX gamer, with HOTT being my most favorite, followed by DBN and DBA-HX. I will play DBA 3.0 but do not really care for it.

Yes, these rules use the same type of mechanics that are found in the family of DBX rules.

So, my being a fan of both DBX and WWI I was delighted to see them.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

The best experience I have had with the DB family has been the DBA 2+ produced by the chaps at WADBAG (or some such acronym). Clearly explained with an excellent QRS. TBH, though, I prefer the Warmaster approach when it comes to 40mm frontage games, but I might yet take a look. 

JeffNNN

I'm clearly doing this wrong in not charging. I wrote a DBA style set of WW1 Middle East games, using 6 or 10 mm figures a few years ago. Did an article about it in Miniature Wargames and provided a full copy of the rule, some scenarios and an annotated reading list as free downloads. At least one group in USA dud take them up and sent me a set of photos of one of their games.

The extra bit in mine is a "strategic phase" where divisions etc plot their planned moves out on the table and then can be challenged/forced to deploy earlier by fire from an emplaced division or one that has already moved. Each battalion is a single 40mm x 20mm base with artillry on 20x20 bases.

Terry37

I don't know Jeff. Friend Paul Potter and I wrote up a set of colonial rules using HOTT, called Hordes of the Empire, and made it available free. We've no regrets, and are delighted when we see folks playing them. Personally, this is a hobby for me and I do not wish to turn it into a business and thus risk losing the fun I have.

Terry