Napoleonic British Army

Started by soalp, 24 April 2017, 01:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Just to second everyone else, they're very nice indeed!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Those are fantastic, really nice work!  Welcome to the Forum as well.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

Welcome

There a bit  jolly. Lovely​ work
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Really good panting and basing. I'd echo the other comments on the flags - which should only take you abut 5mins to sort. It's amazing how much it helps to paint the edges of the flags - thinned paint is good. And putting a bit of a curve in, using the handle of a paint brush to bend the flag works well.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

Fantastic brushwork, much better than mine has ever been.

Tidy up the flags as many others have said.

One question for you.

Why are you representing centre companies only?

Where are your flank companies?
My Ego forbids a signature.

soalp

Thank you very much to all. Jim, actually I am WW2 player and painter and did not know how many company I need which one before. I love to Napoleonics era but I havent experience on this period. Just move as my friends say ''We play Black Powder, simply you need 6 line, 2 Light, 3 Cavalry and 3 guns for starting to play.'' Sure I will make change, add units, may be have new armies as experienced.

Westmarcher

Top job, indeed!  :-bd
I also echo fred's comment about the flags. I use 2 cocktail sticks, one either side of the flag to make them wavy. I also carefully colour in the edges with the side of the brush in a shade as near as possible to the adjacent colour(s) on the face of the flag to eliminate the white edge.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

No problem with your lack of experience in Napoleonics, it's a very comprehensive period.

My point was directed at the composition of your line units. In this period a British line unit would have (in theory) 10 companies, 8 centre, 1 light and 1 grenadier.

A 24 figure unit like your own would probably have 2 light company figures and 2 grenadier company figures as part of the unit so you would only need 20 centre company figures.

Flank companies have different uniform distinctions from centre companies; green or white plumes, wings on jackets etc.

Don't worry too much about it but I'm sure the bug will bite harder as you learn more.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Westmarcher

As Jim says, don't worry about it. Flank companies are a nice touch to a unit but, at this scale, no-one will notice during a game and, if your eyesight is like mine, you'll probably find they've somehow moved to the middle of your units instead of staying on the flanks!

:-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

You could assume the flank and grenadier companies have been picked out as "storm battalions" of chosen men, to play at fruitless Forlorn Hope escapades?

I know Wellington & Moore were very against the practise but I understand quite a few commanders still practised it?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Norm

Beautifully done and inspiring - thank you. It certainly proves the case that the scale benefits from keeping colours bright.

I have only done a few 10mm Napoleonic bases, but I simply use 2 bases for units (which might be battalions, or brigades, depending what level I am gaming at), each at 40mm wide, so I don't represent flank companies  Not very purist, but like you, it is a secondary period to WWII for me, so it matters less.

Jasper

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shutuphippie

2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

urbancohort

What beautifully painted figures. Genius. Thanks for sharing and making me feel wholly inadequate (again)

😉

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....