Pasting Tables?

Started by Heedless Horseman, 22 April 2017, 10:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Having read what I thought was a brilliant solution to the problems of a wargame table on TMP, I am curious of others experiences.
The suggestion was to use the cheap, collapsible wood/MDF tables used for Wallpaper Pasting.
At about £15 for a 6' x 2' area...use 2 or more together with little difficulty for a 'full size' battlefield...which will fold down for storage...it seems ideal.
I wonder how they would stand up to use by hefty blokes leaning on them though? Would they 'bow' in the middle...or would hinges go...or legs crack? The legs look very spindly and, presumably, they are not meant to last very long. Suppose that at that cost, you could just replace if weakness showed up.
Having never had to wallpaper  :D  I am curious as to how they might stand up to use?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

jimduncanuk

I would expect that they lean towards fragile.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They are okay, but best to put an mdf sheet over.
Also, you will need to clamp the two halves together as they will wobble apart
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

I have tought about that a while ago, and would definately take these if i wanted some:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p12781?table=no

bit more expensive, but the additional support in the middle would mean they don't 'bow'.

Norm

I bought some aluminium pasting tables. The have tubular extending legs, so I can bring the table up to 37" so it is less of a back buster. I lay a couple of 2 x 3's along them to further raise to 40" (covered with three pieced of 6mm MDF each at 24" x 42").

That does add weight, but if you can bring the table higher, there is less need for gamers to lean on them to reach towards the middle of the table.

There is a picture of the tables towards the bottom of this link
http://commanders.simdif.com/gaming-table_2.html 

Leman

I used to use two  hardboard and wood pasting tables. They did suffer from sogginess but served their purpose. However I would recommend the sturdier type.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Albie Bach

I've had a couple  of hardboard and mdf pasting tables as my gaming table at home for about 10 years and no problem. I can't remember what I paid for them. They are joined together as ML suggests,and I have added a bit of board between them for extra width to maximise use of my games room. I don't use another board on top, but I do have a fitted double bed sheet over to protect my felt.
They are taller than normal tables (as in most halls) so when sitting they are a tad high and I have to stand to move figs etc.
However they I can fold and transport them around in my car if needed.
Cheers,
Colin
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

sunjester

I use two of these (admitidly I did not pay as much as this one) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HY5BKZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They are very sturdy and I have lent on them with no problems. I have not tried standing on one yet, but I think that would be OK as well!

grahambeyrout

A lot depends on the surface. My experience is cheap tables are flimsy and that hardboard tends to sag, and you will need to clamp the tables together. All the faults may be corrected but the if you resurface the tops, this and other expenditures may render the cheap alternative quite expensive

Orcs

Here are the Sturdy paste tablea Albie Bach mentioned.  I can confirm they work really well.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Paste-Table-1010x560mm/p/607361

I am fortunate that I have a dining room and this year to save mucking about getting an extra table in the room we bought a new extending  dining table. I now have a 3' x 9' table I can use.  I plan to get a couple of 4' x 5' boards to bring it up to 10' x 4' if needed

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

petercooman

Quote from: Orcs on 23 April 2017, 07:48:39 PM

I am fortunate that I have a dining room and this year to save mucking about getting an extra table in the room we bought a new extending  dining table. I now have a 3' x 9' table I can use.  I plan to get a couple of 4' x 5' boards to bring it up to 10' x 4' if needed

did the same thing myself, works great!

Leman

I currently use a dining table with a 6'x4' Mdf board on top, old 2 foot square terrain tiles on that and then a fleece throw over that lot. The tiles allow me to use map pins, painted in muted colours, to produce squares for certain games (although I also have a very nice 6 inch squared cloth from Deep Cut via the Redbat shop).

Nosher

I use 6 loft boards on a 5x3 dining table which gives me 8x4ft of gaming area and no worries about collapsing tables.......

I can see it being a whole lot of hassle storing multiple tables, clamps, hardwood to fit over the top of table surfaces etc...... 6 loft boards are pain enough to store and pull out every time I need to game, not to mention the mess chipboard leaves behind!
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

I never dine on the dining table. My wargame table is permanently up in my wargames room.

Sandinista

I used a pasting table and switched the hinges round so that it folded on the long edge. I also pasted flocked grass paper from a model railway shop on it, it worked well resting on our small dining table. Big enough for 1000pt warmaster games.

Cheers
Ian