To wash or not to wash...

Started by urbancohort, 21 April 2017, 07:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

I have always been told that plastic and metal figures ought to be washed before priming/painting. With metal figures it could be detergent or vinegar.

Having diligently done this for years I stopped doing it about a year ago and I've seen no difference at all in the ability of the figure to take a coat of paint.

So, urban legend/old wive's tale or good practice. Discuss..

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Techno

I don't think it makes much difference at all.

I DO wash figures that I'm converting, (For Leon, or whoever) purely because the new putty can be a swine to get to 'stick' to an original master, if it's covered in some sort of releasing agent.

As far as painting is concerned......Nah....I'd never bother.

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Thought this was going to be a post about Salute at first  :P

No I have never washed figures except 1/72 plastics and not had any difficulty. I presume for resin figures you would need to wash them due to the release agents used
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

I used to wash soft plastics.

I don't wash metals. I work on the basis that the main problem is going to be greasy skin residue, and since the ony handling they get is to plonk 'em on a painting stick ... there's no problem.

The Pendraken casting dwarves are, one imagines, most fastidious. I don't for a moment think Dave licks each figure as it emerges from the machine. (If I'm wrong, please don't correct me.)

As a solo gamer, I'm also pretty punctillious about handling the bases rather than the figures.

Only problem I had was when I dropped the 3 boxes holding my 1940 forces.  >:(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Never wash them, unless it's resin and i had to scrape moldlines or something, the dust is easier removed by washing.

Luddite

I've never washed any model, metal, plastic or resin.

I've never experienced any problems with models taking or retaining paint, or with the quality of the paint being affected.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

JeffNNN

I've never bothered with washing any figures. My Hinton Hunt Swedes, painted in 1966/67 still hold their paint.

Westmarcher

Me neither and so far so good. My current collection is all metal, mind you, and I do recall that paint often flaked off Airfix plastic figures - however, could that have been due more to a combination of softer, flexible plastic and rough handling than failure to wash them before painting? 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Those dam' Airfix Napoleonics! Trying to get them to hold paint was one of the major frustrations of my early wargaming days (they were to blame for at least two others of note).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 April 2017, 01:18:24 PM
Those dam' Airfix Napoleonics! Trying to get them to hold paint was one of the major frustrations of my early wargaming days (they were to blame for at least two others of note).

Chewed that ground - no amount of scrubbing seemed to help - and a wire brush was out of the question. As to the other frustrations.... :)
Still have a few somewhere with hints of paint flecks here and there (like statues from classical Greece).

These days I wash nothing - and don't seem to have a problem.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Wulf

I wash them, but not with any great effort - I just plonk them in a cup with some Fairy Liquid* after general cleanup  then leave them to dry on paper towels. While I've never had any issue with metals, I have with plastics, & certainly 3d printed minis need a damn good scrub. Minis designed for wargaming tend to be fine without a wash, but those designed for boardgames or display are another thing altogether...

* [Other miniature washing detergents are available}

Fenton

For polyurethane figures i just stick them in the dish washer at a low temperature. Seemed to do the job ok
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

urbancohort

Quote from: JeffNNN on 21 April 2017, 12:16:59 PM
I've never bothered with washing any figures. My Hinton Hunt Swedes, painted in 1966/67 still hold their paint.
My word. That IS good goong. I am only a year or so older and my varnish is definitely worn off!!!😣 ;)

urbancohort

Quote from: d_Guy on 21 April 2017, 02:09:15 PM
Chewed that ground - no amount of scrubbing seemed to help - and a wire brush was out of the question. As to the other frustrations.... :)
Still have a few somewhere with hints of paint flecks here and there (like statues from classical Greece).

These days I wash nothing - and don't seem to have a problem.
Wow! Not arf... amazing how things come on!