Modern Dogfight using Lacquered Coffins (Modified)

Started by bigjackmac, 20 April 2017, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

AKA, "Phantoms Over Havana."  As usual, I will be posting the subsequent batreps on this thread.

All,

Okay, standby for something a little bit different, something I've been meaning to get to for quite some time, and something we're going to have to step back in time for.  Here's the deal: my intent for this massive Imagi-Nation-type alternate history was always to have a bunch of ground fights, but also some air to air fighting, and perhaps even some naval fighting.  If you're reading this I'm sure you're aware of the eighty-four (84) battle reports for ground fights I've posted for Cuba Libre.  Now it's time for some air fights.

I just bought a new set of air rules called "Lacquered Coffins," a set of WWII rules that (as always) I've modified a bit to suit my purposes in order to use for 'modern' aircraft (can you still call F-4s and MiG-21s modern?).  My changes are thus:

-I play solo, so I need to mix it up.  Rather than IGO-UGO, I'm using cards (one card per aircraft, with the aircraft tied to a particular card) for activation.  So I do the mandatory move for every aircraft, then move to cards.

-I shortened the range for guns (6, Long Range 8), gave them 2D6.

-I made missiles minimum range 5, good out to 12, Long range 16, 4D6.  I gave each aircraft four missiles. I know F-4s can carry more than four missiles, so if you like it better, think of it as four shots of two missiles ;)  I also am not currently differentiating between IR and radar missiles, I'm just getting into some new rules and want some quick, fun games.

-I added deflection as modifiers, side and front quarter -2 (the game already has head-on and tail, which is assumed).

-I can't remember if this is in the book or not, but when a plane is going down I have the pilot make a test to bail out.

-I'm using a hexboard with 1/600 minis, so 1" in the rules equals one hex.

Everything else is as written.

This is an even up, 4 vs 4 matchup, which I plan to do a few times while I learn these new rules, before getting into various force sizes and initial deployments.  All of these will be straight up fighter duels; perhaps someday I'll branch out into other stuff, but that's what interests me right now.  I'm not sure how many fights I'll play out for the War of Liberation; I'm hoping for around ten, but it could be more (if I'm really enjoying myself) or less (if I run out of planes/pilots).  Right now I'll be simply referring to these guys by callsign, i.e., Boxcar 01.  As they prove themselves (by surviving!) I'll become more invested and begin to actually start naming them and getting into personalia.

The board, north is up.  I'm using a hexboard from the old game "Flight Leader" (you can actually see the name in the bottom right corner).  CLA Air Force in the southwest (bottom left) corner, Castro Air Force in the northeast (top right).  I'm using the relatively new set, "Lacquered Coffins," modified slightly.  The airplanes are 1/600; the CLA flight consists of F-4 Phantoms from PicoArmor, the Castro flight consists of MiG-21s from Tumbling Dice.

Hopefully it isn't too off-putting, but in an effort to make it more clear to readers, I'm now photo-shopping the pics and putting in identifiers (1-4) for the aircraft and brushing in trails to show maneuvers.

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/04/phantoms-over-havana-fight-1.html

The fight was a lot of fun; it flows well, mixing things up with the cards for activation worked like a champ, and everything made sense.  It took a bit longer than I'd like; yeah, that's always the case with new rules, but I gotta tell ya, I don't think that factored in a lot, as the mechanisms were very familiar.  I think more of the time is spent with the maneuvering, then manipulating the dice for altitude, speed, and missiles, which is a little bit of a pain in the butt, but worth it.  Let me know what you think of me doing the batreps with the blue and red trails and black numbers (I'm already writing the next fight up the same way).

Next fight up in this series is the second flight, Blackjack 01-04, on another vanilla fighter sweep, taking on four Castro-regime MiG-21s, though I should be posting batrep number five of Operation Rush Delivery first.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

ronan

The Flight Leader board !  :)
I used to play it a lot ! ( wait a minute ... I've check ... my game is missing....  :o   :'( )

Nowadays I use Air War C21, and like it !

from my blog http://2d6.fr/?p=3027

Good job here, Jack, as usual
( You noticed I didn't have much time to read all your AARs...  :(  )

bigjackmac

Thanks Lemmey and D_Guy, glad you liked it!

Ronan!!!  Hey buddy, how are you?  Yeah man, I've missed you, and not reading my batreps so much, what I miss is you posting YOUR batreps!!!

Guys, if you're not aware, Ronan has a great blog, and did some great Spanish Civil War (Force on Force) and WWII Eastern Front (NUTS! and Chain of Command, if I recall correctly) campaigns in 10mm.  Ronan's stuff is a big part of my inspiration for blogging. 

So Ronan, get back to work!!!

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

24 April 2017, 06:00:02 PM #5 Last Edit: 24 April 2017, 07:00:56 PM by bigjackmac
Whoops, put a post in the wrong spot...

bigjackmac

I try, but I haven't seen any new batreps, so you look like you need a kick in the rear!!!  ;D ;D :P

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

So it's 0815 on 1 Feb 1990, and CLA aircraft are winging towards Castro's Cuba from secret airfields in *REDACTED*, in support of CLA ground forces which have landed via parachute or amphibious assault.  Two hours ago, Boxcar flight tangled with four MiG-21s of the Castro regime's air force, which saw each side lose two aircraft in fierce dogfighting.  CLA Air Force aircraft continue to execute near continuous sorties against ground targets, zooming in, bombing command and control centers, radar sites, grounded aircraft and their support facilities, moored ships and their port facilities, artillery and tank parks, ammunition and fuel storage, anti-aircraft sites, etc..., then heading back to rearm and refuel, then get back in the fight.  Castro's Air Force has managed to put another four MiG-21s into the air, and so Blackjack flight, consisting of four F-4 Phantoms, is vectored in to intercept the interceptors.

Red 01 and Blackjack 04 slash past each other, nose to nose.  Red 03 recoils in horror as a Sidewinder destroys his wingman, Red 04 (not pictured); but he recovers quickly, pulling hard left, lining up a decent shot on Blackjack 04, and launching a missile.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/04/phantoms-over-havana-fight-2.html

Another fun fight, more coming up ASAP.

V/R,
Jack

Terry37

Love aerial combat, and your games look awesome, I am especially impressed with the picture of the missile that has been fired. Very well done!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

Terry - Thanks man, glad you liked it.

Lemmey - ???

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

So it's 1415 on 1 Feb 1990, and CLA aircraft are winging towards Castro's Cuba from secret airfields in *REDACTED*, in support of CLA ground forces which have landed via parachute or amphibious assault.  There have been several sorties flown between with no contact, but six hours ago, Blackjack flight engaged four MiG-21s of the Castro regime's air force, knocking three of them from the sky without losing any aircraft.  Two hours prior to that, Boxcar flight tangled with four MiG-21s, with each side losing two aircraft in a fierce dogfight.  CLA Air Force aircraft continue to execute near continuous sorties against ground targets, zooming in, bombing command and control centers, radar sites, grounded aircraft and their support facilities, moored ships and their port facilities, artillery and tank parks, ammunition and fuel storage, anti-aircraft sites, etc..., then heading back to rearm and refuel, then get back in the fight.  Castro's Air Force has managed to put another four MiG-21s into the air, and so Bruiser flight, consisting of four F-4 Phantoms, is vectored in to intercept the interceptors.

Looks like trouble for the good guys!  To see the whole batrep, please check the blog at:
http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/06/phantoms-over-havana-fight-3.html

Alright, another fun and exciting fight!  I'm very comfortable with the rules at this point (despite the two cases of allowing fighter maneuvers and then firing in the same turn), and I've got my system down in terms of playing, note-taking, and picture taking (despite missing one), so I'm ready to rock.  So this is the last fight of Day 1 of the War of Liberation, and, as such, is the last of the 'even up' fights, where it's four F-4s vs four MiG-21s, coming straight on at each other from opposite sides.  From here on out it will all be randomized: number of aircraft in the engagement, speeds, altitude, and entry location.  Also, I am adding in some spotting rules, so that will factor into the fight as well.  You may think that's odd, and sure, I suppose it is in terms of modern-era aircraft with radar, particularly operating at dogfighting range, but give me a break, I'm looking to play a fun game!  So, all those factors will be randomized, and then they'll have to deal with spotting too.

Next fight coming right up.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton