Figure worth painting

Started by FierceKitty, 20 April 2017, 12:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

A delightful discovery today: native Indian cavalryman in Her Majesty's service lent his horse, a fine white animal, to a cousin to ride to his wedding. This was all legit and above board, since the troopers owned their mounts, but the colonel was less than impressed when the animal was returned, having been festively decorated in red, yellow, and green polka dots. The paint used was apparently extremely resistant to soap and water.

Anyone got a suitable regiment to include such a figure in?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Various indeginous tribes of the Great Plains. Cheyenne, Arapaho and Pawnee immediately come to mind.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Looks like you'll have to correct that! Give that Cheyenne a big hand - in red or yellow.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 20 April 2017, 04:33:30 PM
Looks like you'll have to correct that! Give that Cheyenne a big hand - in red or yellow.
Big hand - nice one!  Horses go down - they get grass-stained.

FierceKitty

Note that by Indian, I am referring to the nation of Taj Mahals, sitars, cardamoms, and poems in Urdu about the bulbul in the rose garden.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

OK - I had to look up a bulbul:

But what it is doing in a rose garden eludes me.

It too, does have a big hand.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 April 2017, 12:07:49 AM
Note that by Indian, I am referring to the nation of Taj Mahals, sitars, cardamoms, and poems in Urdu about the bulbul in the rose garden.

I knew that.

I was just waiting to see how long before anyone else twigged.
My Ego forbids a signature.

fsn

Surely, the regiment would have to be either the Blues or the Cherry Bums?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 April 2017, 01:07:31 PM
Various indiginous tribes of the Great Plains. Cheyenne, Arapaho and Pawnee immediately come to mind.
Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 April 2017, 12:07:49 AM

Pity about that because you could have played My Little Pony Wars.   <)

.... I'll get my coat.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

As unbelievable as it may sound, the first answer I gave was an attempt to be serious (granted it went south from there).

The question is then, "What Unit on the British establishment during the period of the Raj would you likely find such a horse?"

A much tougher nut to crack. Prehapes a cavalry regiment in early WW1 experimenting with dazzle camouflage?

@Westie - groan!!!

@fsn - You caused me to think of "Flashman at the Charge" producing a smile with my morning coffee.