To Kill a King

Started by d_Guy, 19 April 2017, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

The new Pike & Shotte ECW supplement has just arrived. Haven't even opened the box yet. As I am about to do Benburb, 1646, I'll be curious to see their scenario and how closely it jives with my setup. Also very much interested in all the army lists, new rules for grouping Pike and Shot and other specialty rules. I'm curious if any one else is going to be looking/use this?
Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

Hi d'G,

I have it, and was very much looking forward to it. Sadly, I am somewhat disappointed. Army lists are so specific to P&S that I can see little use for other systems. The scenarios are very generic, and don't really give you much detail. The photos are wonderful, and inspirational, but is that enough to buy it? If you use P&S I am sure it will be of use, if you don't then probably not. Just my personal thoughts.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

SV52

Not a bad movie, despite Tim Roth being a bit miscast as Cromwell  ;)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Mollinary,
Have now given it a very cursory look concentrating on scenarios I am most familiar with. Yes a bit over simplified but the terrain, OoB  and deployments seem fairly correct, so for non-fanatics I think they will serve well enough.  I appreciate any attention given the "Fringe" since it is a nod toward the ECW being MUCH more the English with a few Scots thrown in here and there. I also appreciate that "Montrose" peaked for many gamers and most have moved on.

At very first blush I think the lists for Ireland and Scotland are still a little romantized BUT very much appreciated the recognition that the armies varied a great deal year by year and place by place, heck they sometimes varied dramatically day to day. I will have to spreadsheet the lists so I can close compare to see what's really there. The various clan levies, retinues, arrays, gangs, mobs, etc that were sometimes drawn into things are hard to figure out and model.

Lots of pretty pictures (as you said) - a few are reused from other Warlord publications. Agree that unless you are heavily invested in P&S OR a 17th century fanatic, may not be worth the price - I don't regret it however and will probably glean much more out of it over time.

As I am committed to Baroque this will be a reference only.

I need to watch that movie again - saw it on Netflix - recall thinking the actor who played "Black Tom" did a decent job.

d_Guy

Totally off topic but does anyone else go back and read (and sometimes correct) their posts
because of a certain pouncing kitty?
I do and I believe it raises the overall quality of the forum.  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nah, I ignore it as oft as poss
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 April 2017, 10:18:00 PM
I also appreciate that "Montrose" peaked for many gamers and most have moved on.

Just getting started down here  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Quote from: pierre the shy on 20 April 2017, 08:12:47 AM
Just getting started down here  ;)

:-bd :-bd :)

When you get the rules from Warlord, they also give you a mounted officer figure. Before I switched to 10mm four years ago, I had gotten a few dozen Warlord 28mm. Really like the poses and personalities.

This figure is strange, however, a one-armed midget on a horse. Don't know what that's all about.

FierceKitty

Quote from: d_Guy on 20 April 2017, 12:44:02 PM

This figure is strange, however, a one-armed midget on a horse. Don't know what that's all about.

Badly-realised Napoleon figure?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

pierre the shy

I'm sticking to gaming Montrose's battles in Scotland using Baroque rules in 10mm DGuy.

Not looking at getting Pike and Shotte plus supplements at this stage, my "modest" shopping list for 10mm stuff is costly enough as it is, hate to think how much it would be if I wanted to do it all in 28mm  ;)     

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

d_Guy

Pierre,
Since I already had every known army in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in 25/28 mm when I retired, I started with Pike&Shotte. The first battle I set-up looked like Times Square on New Year's Eve!  That's  when I made the decision to start from scratch in 10mm. While I dabble in a few other things, I am pretty much a one trick pony so most of my time and money goes into "the Fringe".

I think I have bought or acquired every rules set and army list I know of for the period, just to see how things are implemented in each. Have never found the perfect match to my idea of reality.   :)

It would now take the "perfect" rules for me to even consider moving away from Baroque.

Norm

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 April 2017, 10:25:51 PM
Totally off topic but does anyone else go back and read (and sometimes correct) their posts
because of a certain pouncing kitty?
I do and I believe it raises the overall quality of the forum.  :)

It is off topic - but since you raised it- I will comment, at best it might be thought of as unfriendly on a forum that prides itself on friendliness, though I see it in worse terms than that. The internet is a global entity, as is the reach this forum. It provides a meeting place for every person regardless of their command of the language, native tongue, education or whatever else might advantage or disadvantage a poster. I have yet to come across a post in which I don't get the gist of what is being said, however it is framed. It is NOT an attribute to behave in a way that might discourage any person from posting or otherwise feeling uncomfortable in participating here in case they should be ridiculed. I have met good people who cannot even read or write, but can only sign their name. So no, it does not raise the bar and is not something to be applauded - in my humble opinion of course!

On topic - I imagine that I will buy To Kill a King, just for wargaming source material, though the price is bordering on being a bit uncomfortable for something that is not essential to me. 

d_Guy

Norm,
On the off topic. I see your point in this. I post infrequently at TMP because of a couple bad experiences there.
Humor is of course in the eye of the beholder and what one may find humorous another may find hurtful. On this forum
generally I think most of our critical (or humorous) comments are targeted at those that are experienced and are perceived
to be able to "take it". I recently had one of my responses badly misinterpreted and it may me very aware that I need to
pay closer attention to my wording, hence my off-topic.

Incidentally, I think that the moderators of this forum are excellent and have much to do with the positive environment here.

On topic. Because of the price I would not be able to recommend the supplement to anyone with only a passing interest in ECW - just too expensive!