Colour scheme for Dragonmen and fantasy buildings in 10mm.

Started by gizmok24, 18 April 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmok24

Hi guys I just recently got myself a dragonmen army and I am still loving playing warband but I cant seem to find a good colour scheme that I feel would look good can anyone help me with any ideas for inspiration ?
Also can anyone point me in the direction of some good terrain for 10mm scale buildings anything like that looking for more fantasy style?
When basing warband I was curious do you guys like to use the standard base size of 100x50mm or I have seen a lot of people use 60x30mm?
- Louis :)

Techno

Hi Louis.

There are probably oddles of possibilities.

Blue & Yellow ?
Red & Yellow ?.....(That's certainly the colour I saw the shields, when I was making the wee chaps...Now I'm not so convinced !)
Purple & Yellow ?

Red & Green ?
Blue & White ?

Not sure if anyone's painted an army yet, for you to have a look at, which might give you some inspiration.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My idea: match it to you dragon.
Pick an idea of what flavour dragon your kings is ruled by, match to that.
Mine are blue/white and grey/green
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Hi Louis,

given my High Elves are done in a rather non-standard red, white and black colour scheme, inspired by the Ii samurai clan, I'm not sure you'd want advice from me as to colour choices. :)

I would, however, advocate having a good look in local charity shops, if you have any, for suitable buildings. I've picked up quite a selection David Winter and Lilliput Lane buildings (and clones thereof) for pennies to single digits of pounds.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Didn't someone suggest aquarium bits for just this purpose a while ago? 

Dragons are all either a) red or b) green.

Anything else is just unrealistic.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chieftain

Colour scheme?  Anything goes.  however, each army is a servant of a "dragon king", so generally pick the colour of the dragon you like and use that as a theme throughout.

Red
Green
Black
White
Blue

I would suggest these as "main" colour schemes, but really anything goes; and there are "metallic dragons" too...

Can't wait to see the results of your army choice and glad you're enjoying Warband!  The Dragon Men can be a very competative and fun army to field.

Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Leman

Escenografia Epsilon on the main Pendraken website, have three sets of ready painted medieval fantasy buildings.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Louis, I am not familiar with the rules so this may not be a help. But if you are talking about dragon figures then I suggest you do a Google search for dinosaurs. I did that for painting my Red Skull Army Terror Bird and Dino-Panzers.

As for buildings, have you considered using a smaller scale, like 6 MM. I use that scale with my 155 MM armies because they fit nicely, and allow me to do more of a diorama. You maybe want to look at Irregular, as they make quite a few buildings and such in 10 MM. Just look under the "scenics and accessories" section. Here's their link

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Ithoriel

Quote from: Terry37 on 18 April 2017, 05:31:24 PM
As for buildings, have you considered using a smaller scale, like 6 MM.
Terry

Ugh! Wendy houses! ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Terry37 on 18 April 2017, 05:31:24 PM
I use that scale with my 155 MM armies because they fit nicely, and allow me to do more of a diorama. You maybe want to look at Irregular, as they make quite a few buildings and such in 10 MM
155mm, blimey! That's huge!

Try Supreme Littleness too. http://www.supremelittleness.co.uk
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Here's some nice dragon colours...

That metallic black / green combo could look really good, maybe a little dark though.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

How can there be a correct way of painting fantasy figures?

FierceKitty

Dragons are red, green, or white. Ask any mah jong player.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Well, the Welsh, who know everything about anything before 1066, know about dragons. There's a Welsh word for it -  ddraig, pronounced - probably. (This is another example of when being confronted by a double-d can make a man tongue tied.)

King Arthur was Welsh, and he was the product of two dragons "fighting" (which may say something about Welsh courtship) and that Merlin kept one as a pet, though it was a bad tempered beast and tried to eat Merlin's pug, which was confusingly called Arthur.

St Patrick was Welsh, and he threw all the dragons out of Ireland, as well as all the otters, but that was a mistake and the otters had to be reintroduced by the lesser known St Meghan, who is the patron saint of tidying up other people's messes.

Beowulf was from the valleys, and slew many dragons - but they were only English dragons, so nobody minded much. On his death bed Beowulf said "42 dragons I killed, see, and all they go on about is bloomin' Grendel, and he not so much a monster as Dewi the Blacksmith who kept eating the wrong mushrooms."

Atilla the Hun originally hailed from Pontyprydd, and was a beekeeper. In Pontyprydd, his full and proper name was Atillla the Honey Maker, and he only took up the whole warlording bit after a rather bitter disagreement with a dragon who objected to the proximity of bees to his lair. Turns out the dragon, whose name was Terry, later died of anaphylaxis after being stung by a homeless bee.

Anyway, the Welsh, who know all about dragons, say they're red. They even have a red one on their flag.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Welsh dd is pronounced the same as English th as in 'the', never as in 'both'.