The Last Battle of the Last Century of the Ottomans. Domokos 1897

Started by KTravlos, 23 April 2017, 06:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

We fought the last scenario of our Last Century of the Ottomans, Bloody Big Battles campaign. Find photos, AAR(with much castigation by me on me), and video AAR at

https://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/2017/04/last-century-of-ottoman-domokos-1897.html

With Respect
Konstantinos Travlos, PhD

d_Guy

KT,
Enjoyed the AAR, particularly the video that you did! Your new terrain system is striking. I did something similar (using terrycloth squares but they produced too much lint!)
What is the material you used to produce them?
How many different shapes (fractals) do you use?
I noticed that you use steeper hilltop pieces in some cases, do you also use similar pieces underneath your fractals to give them elevation?

Thanks,
d_guy
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great wrote up, especially the numbers at the end. Bravo Professor.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Great looking game and love the idea of the terrain tiles. Will certainly give this a try :)

KTravlos

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 April 2017, 07:22:05 PM
KT,
Enjoyed the AAR, particularly the video that you did! Your new terrain system is striking. I did something similar (using terrycloth squares but they produced too much lint!)
What is the material you used to produce them?
How many different shapes (fractals) do you use?
I noticed that you use steeper hilltop pieces in some cases, do you also use similar pieces underneath your fractals to give them elevation?

Thanks,
d_guy

Onur procured the material. He works in textiles. The material is syntheitc felt. He got large rolls and I sat down and cute them with a tailors shears (the good heavy duty scissors). I did not use a system, but in general I kept my cuts small. I cut three types of general shapes, circles/squarish-oblongs-and semi-circles (for table edges).

The semi-circles ranged from 3-5 inches in diameter. (13 pieces)
The oblongs ranged from 1 inches x 4 inches to 5x8 inches (37 pieces)
The circles/squarish from 2-3 inches diameter to 5 incehs diameter (63 pieces)

If you have enough pieces I see no reason why you cannot use layers of fractals to create elevation. Our main issue was that we did not have as many green and white fractals as brown, thus we used 3-d terrain for the impassable regions (which is fine). But if you have let us say 300 pieces per three different color shades you should be able to create pretty good 3d terrain for any BBB battle. Consider that the brown cloth all came from an almost 48x64 roll of the material, which Onur said was very cheap to get.