Colour scheme for Dragonmen and fantasy buildings in 10mm.

Started by gizmok24, 18 April 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Woah! Flashback to Welsh lessons in the late 1970's!

Groups of children pronouncing "rh", "ch", "ll" repeatedly.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2017, 07:31:47 AM
How can there be a correct way of painting fantasy figures?

I think, in some cases, if the fantasy is based on a specific canon and the colors and equipment are described in that canon, that would be as official as say the 1768 Clothing Warrent.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2017, 07:31:47 AM
How can there be a correct way of painting fantasy figures?

HERETIC !  Stone him.  My Orcs and Goblins are Historically correct as per the His most renowned personage JRR Tolkien.

Seriously, I think the fact their is no correct  colour scheme to follow it throws those of us used to looking up a uniform guide
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mollinary

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 April 2017, 06:00:11 PM
Ugh! Wendy houses! ;)

You need to get that needle looked at, it seems to have been stuck at this point for ever!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

I always wanted a Wendy house when I was a boy - to defend or storm when playing soldiers or cowboys and Indians.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Mad Lemmey,

Opps, err, I meant 15 MM. My figure Talos in my Greek myth army is not even 155 MM high!

Glad you all were able to enjoy my excellent typing skills, and my even better proofreading skills!

Gentlemen, pray tell, what is a "Wendy House"?

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Westmarcher

Quote from: Terry37 on 19 April 2017, 10:39:05 PM

Gentlemen, pray tell, what is a "Wendy House"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_house

"Wendy House" is a term used by Ithoriel to describe miniature buildings one scale lower than the miniature figures (e.g., 10mm scale figures with 6mm scale buildings).   :-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Leman on 19 April 2017, 09:25:46 AM
Welsh dd is pronounced the same as English th as in 'the', never as in 'both'.

Absolutely, although draig is spelt with d rather than dd and is kind of pronounced dryg (as in the lack of humidity with the g from dug tacked on the back!)

However, it commonly mutates to dd under a multitude of grammatical circumstances, eg Y Ddraig Goch - the Red Dragon.
More rarely it can mutate to n, eg fy nraid - my dragon.

:-B  ;)

As to the original question!
Quote from: gizmok24 on 18 April 2017, 09:07:48 AM
Hi guys I just recently got myself a dragonmen army and I am still loving playing warband but I cant seem to find a good colour scheme that I feel would look good can anyone help me with any ideas for inspiration ?

Either get a book of heraldry and flick through that for a combination that takes your fancy or pick the colours of your favourite - or a particularly eye-catching - sporting team.  The one advantage of the sporting option is that it might give you a combination that you won't find in any real-world heraldic scheme  :o  :-t  ;)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Ithoriel

I remain bemused by people's apparent ability to see 24 figures as a battalion while being completely foxed by the notion that one house is therefore and entire village or even town.

A common suggestion is that players therefore use houses a scale or two smaller. Which looks to me like adults fighting among children's playhouses!

Of course, if people find that aesthetically more pleasing I don't really have any objection too it, despite my occasional asnides!

It doesn't appeal to me but, as with all these things, Your Mileage May Vary.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Terry37

Ithoriel,

Yes it may seem so. In defense, HOTT/DBA-HX and DBN (the three rules sets I play) have limited size bases allowed, for terrain, figures/elements, etc. And they all have to fit on a 2' x 2' board. So to comply with the rules and still be able do some creative modeling I use a scale down for camps, strongholds, fortresses, BUAs, etc. The scale is not all that obvious on the table top. If I used a scale building, it would not fit on the allotted size base, so I find 6 MM works just fine.

As an example, here is a recent game with my US Hollywood Army Facing Red Skull's Army with a 6 MM bunker as red Skull's Stronghold on he far table edge.

Another picture and the bunker doesn't look too out of scale.

This is my US Hollywood Army Stronghold with 6 MM models on an acceptable 60 x 80 MM base. If I were to use 15 MM scale, then I might be able to fit one pup tent on the base, and that would look pretty lame in my book.

So it is more of a rules requirement decision rather than an atheistic one.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

fsn

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 19 April 2017, 11:42:18 PM
Absolutely, although draig is spelt with d rather than dd and is kind of pronounced dryg (as in the lack of humidity with the g from dug tacked on the back!)

However, it commonly mutates to dd under a multitude of grammatical circumstances, eg Y Ddraig Goch - the Red Dragon.
More rarely it can mutate to n, eg fy nraid - my dragon.

Aarrrghhh! Welsh mutations! (I mean in the language, not like Techno's extra toe.) They were the bane of my life! My family comes from Scotland, but pappa was in the RAF, and we were posted to Hawarden on the Weslh border. If you were good at cricket in my school, you could hit the ball into England, but we as RAF brats, still had to learn Welsh. You can imagine the dedication of kids who next week would be relocated to Cyprus, to learning the Welsh language!

*curls up in a ball and rocks gently*
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald: 2024 - Silver Medal (Cavalry)
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fsn on 20 April 2017, 07:55:52 AM
Aarrrghhh! Welsh mutations! (I mean in the language, not like Techno's extra toe.) They were the bane of my life! My family comes from Scotland, but pappa was in the RAF, and we were posted to Hawarden on the Weslh border. If you were good at cricket in my school, you could hit the ball into England, but we as RAF brats, still had to learn Welsh. You can imagine the dedication of kids who next week would be relocated to Cyprus, to learning the Welsh language!

*curls up in a ball and rocks gently*

There, there >:<

You have my sympathy - I know that having lived outside Wales for over quarter of a century that it takes me a while to get my tongue back up to speed.  You really do need one of the Welsh accents to make some of the sound combinations comfortable to pronounce...
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )