Faces in 10mm

Started by urbancohort, 14 April 2017, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Leman on 15 April 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Go to www.fat-wally.com

Click on Painting Service and it will give you his recipe for magic wash. He is a good painter, but all his examples are 15mm.

Hi

The link in the recipe pdf is broken, it leads to some Asian page. Try https://web.archive.org/web/20120424032155/http://www.paintingclinic.com:80/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm

I'll put here in full in case it goes missing one day:-
"Magic Wash

Hello, fellow figure painters. I believe I have finally found the perfect "wash" for miniature figures. A few weeks ago I admired some Boxer war figures of local painter here in Southern California. "Dow the Programmer" told me how to make his "Magic Wash", and I have been trying it out recently. I am stoked by it. Magic Wash blows the doors off of every other wash technique I have ever used! And it is so inexpensive as to be negligible! And it is easier than most other wash techniques!

Here is the recipe:

Buyer's a bottle of "FUTURE acrylic floor finish for non-wax and regular floors" by Johnson & Son. In the U.S. it comes in big 800 ml (27 ounce) clear plastic squeeze bottles for about $7, and was available in both supermarkets I checked. This is more than I can probably use in a lifetime. The clear liquid inside is slightly more viscous than water. I imagine there are similar products in other countries, and I recommend that we identify them.

Pre-mix some of the FUTURE, one part of acrylic finish to four parts of water. This is the Magic Wash stock. I made mine up in a liter sealable milk bottle. Making a clear stock up ahead of time allows the small bubbles which can result when mixed with water to subside over time.

Devote one brush to be the Magic Wash brush. I don't know if this is really necessary, but it seems safer to me, since the formula of the FUTURE finish is different from those of our acrylic paints.

When you are ready to use it, mix a little of the Magic Wash stock with a small amount of your chosen pigment. Stir it with your brush, don't shake it. I have successfully used inks and acrylic paints as wig men TS.

Brush over your figures and allow to dry. It dries just about as quickly as acrylic paints.

It sucks the pigment right down into the crevasses and keeps it there. Doesn't let it "osmosis" back up. And the high areas remain remarkably clear ! I have used black, dark brown, and light tan (for white marble).

And Magic Wash even gives a hard protective coating !! It's not too shiny, but a final coat of dullcote often makes the figures look better to my eye.

What DON'T I like about it? Well, I've mentioned the little bubbles, with a method for avoiding them. The only other "problem" is that, if you tend to lick your brush while painting, the stuff tastes TERRIBLE !! So I have given up that habit when using Magic Wash.

Update 7/23/11 - In the US (maybe elsewhere as well) Future Floor Polish is now called Pledge with Future Shine.

Future is available only in the United States. However it is sold under other names, or there are similar products, available in other countries.

United Kingdom: Klear or Krystal Klear

Netherlands: Pronto Wax for Wood Floors or Parket Plus

France: Klir

Germany: Erdal Glanzer

Australia: Pledge One Go

Xtracolour, which makes military hobby paints, make "Acrylic Gloss Clear" which seams to be repackaged Future.

If your country is not listed, check your local supermarket for a clear, acrylic-based floor polish."

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Fenton

I used to go to Fat Wally's site quite a bit. It doesn't look like much gas been done on it for a good amount t of time now
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello All again

For Australian readers , the Pledge One Go is no longer available. Some posts have mentioned Pascoe's Long Lifehttps://www.bunnings.com.au/long-life-1l-self-shining-floor-polish_p4460498 but I  don't have any direct experience.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leman

Well I have just been on Fat Wally's page. He has added a vast number of ECW regiments to his Basic Baroque thread, making this a very useful resource for uniforms, flags etc. Further, I tried the magic wash recipe. I clicked on Painting Service, then clicked on Magic Wash Recipe, and the article automatically downloaded to my computer. This is written for the UK public. 
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!