Comet or M50 Sherman?

Started by Sunray, 13 April 2017, 02:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Its 1965. The East African state of South Coryria is in need of second hand tanks. Her belligerent neighbour North Coryria has just acquired T-34/85s. (They got a free Cuban with every tank!)

Two arms dealers (Leon and Dave) have offered a choice: Ex-South African Comets or ex-French Shermans upgunned to M50 spec.

How would you advise the South Coryian Arms Mission ?  Which tank should end up on their End User Certificate and why ?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Logically you should take the Sherman - rather more of them around. Against T34/85 you only need the 76's, as Easy 8's. You could also go for AMX-13/75, French seem to have sold those to all comers.

The Comet is also valid - but not freely available, some armies were still using them as front line tanks.

Course - if you can persuade Mart there is the Charioteer, they went all over the place, from Finland to the Lebanon (via Jordan).

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Shermans, more roomy for the crew, more spare parts, runs well on red diesel, better gun, allows the Americans in to sell you more kit (they are going to be a global superpower soon)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Comet.

1) Never let a 3rd party muck with a design - Davide.
2) Leon is a lot harder than Davide. Now, if you were buying them off Israel, there would have to be second thoughts.
3) Comets look cooler - c'mon everyone did Shermans. They're so 1943!
4) 61 rounds main ammo to the Comet, 40 to the M50.

Since both are capable of taking on a T34/85, serious considerations would be:
1) Diesel (M50) or petrol (Comet)? Which can you get a better supply of?
2) Crew availability - 4 needed in a M50, 5 in a Comet
3) Ammunition availability.
4) Servicability. Sherman has a long history of reliability, but South Africa's a lot closer for spares.
5) What sort of terrain are you fighting over? If there's a lot of flat land, the lower, nippier Comet may have the advantage. In hilly terrain does that make much of a difference? Don't know the relative effective ranges of the main guns, but this may have an bearing.
6) Cost. Is it as cheap to buy 5 M50s as 4 Comets?

Comets for me. Real reason is that, and whisper it softly, Shermans post 1945 are a bit boring.  

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

;D  I remember the Irish   Army still having serviceable Comets in the early 70s.  It seems the lack of suitable ammo was the reason for withdrawal.  They still maintain one at the Curragh as a runner.

The real intrigue is that the poor old Comet never really go a chance to show its paces.  It never gained the battle kudos of  the Centurion or even the Churchill.

It also appears to have just one mark - this must be a record for British tanks !

Yes, it a good fun topic. Feel free to express your opinions Forum.

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mart678

France has some war surplus Panthers and Arl44's also there where some Panzer iv and Stugs in Syria which may be up for sale

Steve J

Shermans would be the choice for me.

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Sunray

Quote from: Matt J on 13 April 2017, 01:59:02 PM
Er.. both of course!

Matt j - are you trying to bankrupt this small African nation ?

However, I might indeed see both Comet and M50 on the table.  The neighbouring province of Zembala is going to secede from North Coryria  and the mercenaries involved favour the Comet.  South Coryria will indeed go for Shermans, and be a US client state for the M41 in future conflicts. 

Ithoriel

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 April 2017, 07:59:39 AM
Course - if you can persuade Mart there is the Charioteer, they went all over the place, from Finland to the Lebanon (via Jordan).

IanS

Excellent suggestion! Start with the Sumerian donkey carts and work up to the four horse scythed versions, though given the charioteers seem to have abandoned the latter before impact perhaps there's no need for the actual charioteer for those ;)

That was what you meant, right?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Quote from: Ithoriel on 14 April 2017, 07:53:06 PM
Excellent suggestion! Start with the Sumerian donkey carts and work up to the four horse scythed versions, though given the charioteers seem to have abandoned the latter before impact perhaps there's no need for the actual charioteer for those ;)

Erm - BOG OFF.....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ace of Spades

Shermans, always really...
But they have proven to be very reliable, spare parts are available all over the world and because it's relatively roomy there are endless possibilities for conversions and upgrades...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 14 April 2017, 07:53:06 PM

The two-horse variations are a lot more mobile. Do you need great big ones, where the loss of one horse means four are out of action?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.