Marlburian to 7YW rules

Started by far4ngn, 10 April 2017, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

far4ngn

Ok, guys what rules do you think are the best for this period?

I have Die Kriegkunst, British Grenadier and Warfare in the Age of Reason (Rev 1 and 3)... for me I'm a bit old school as I like to remove figures.

What have you played and why would you recommend them?

Cheers
Paul

Leman

What do you want from a game? Card driven - then try Maurice (nice campaign system, but difficult for attacker to win) or Field of Battle 2, which can raise sudden surprises. This is my preference for card driven. Old school is Konig Krieg - too based on figures rather than bases or units for my taste. Two current rule sets that give a good game are Minden Rose and Black Powder, but both can favour Prussians at the expense of other nationalities. Black Powder's C18th supplement gives the Prussians a huge number of whistles and bells and should be treated with moderation. My favourite set (and the only one I use for SYW these days) is Honours of War. This gives a unit based game, with no casualty removal, and furthermore is fun, fast-flowing and exciting.  It does have national differences, and the early Prussians do have some advantages, but these decline after 1759. Furthermore the rules are backed by a comprehensive website and forum, including scenarios, free downloads and painting inspiration. There are also WSS, AWS and AWI versions on the website. Compared to the likes of FOB2, Black Powder and Maurice they are extremely competitively priced.

I have also used Baroque for the WSS, which gives a good, fun game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!