Centenary of Vimy Ridge

Started by urbancohort, 09 April 2017, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

My main gaming buddy is really into All Quiet on the Martian Front, which is like a weird WW1 game.

One question I have about historical WW1 games is whether the rules attempt to simulate the extreme difficulty of communications once the troops left the trenches or the phone lines were cut by arty.  Seems like tha,t as much as the machine gun and deadly artillery fire, led to the static lines on the Western Front.

urbancohort

Quote from: Techno on 10 April 2017, 01:44:14 PM
Nice figures, Dan !  :)

Cheers - Phil
+1

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

DanJ

QuoteThe terrain issues already mentioned.  Unless you're going to invest in dedicated recessed trench/shell hole boards, it just doesn't look right on the table.  Trenches were not railway embankments!

I've built a single board with recessed trenches and it looks good, but was a big job and far to complicated for playing different games.  I've now come up with 2 answers, for big games I use lots of barbed wire entanglements for a 3D effect but the actual trenches are just strips of felt which look ok for 10mm figures.  The other solution is to play 'Great War' by PSC using stands of 10mm figures instead of the 15mm figures supplied.  It's very effective.

Dr Dave

Our club, the Friends of General Haig, game WW1 with Pendraken 10mm... BEF August - September '14. I've the 2nd cavalry brigade with 24 figures per sqn, mounted and dismounted. We use Black Powder with house rules - it's called "Black Powder and Sheffield Steel". They're online somewhere. We did a bit article and game of Elouges in the August 2014 Wargames Illustrated.

Later war I skirmish game: platoon attacks and raids to capture a prisoner or pill box, farm, crater etc. Full brigade attacks would be tricky due to the nature and appearance of the trenches. Fire bays and traverses would be difficult to accommodate a "unit" in 10 mm. Better to do mid-late 1918.