V-Strutter for Weird WWI German Army

Started by Terry37, 09 April 2017, 12:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Here is the 1:300 scale Albatros D.III I finished for my Weird WWI German army. It is a very old Skytrex model I probably got 20+ years ago. Although I game in 15 MM, I find in my rules - HOTT, that an Aerial is not a problem being in such a small scale. I prefer it much better than having a 15 MM scale plane, because when you put a plane that size on a 2 foot board it dominates it, and these little planes don't do that, but fit nicely on the board and still give a good representation for it being an airplane.

The model was done to represent the one flown by Ltn. George Simon of Jasta 11. In the book the army is based on the only pilot mentioned is Richthofen, but there are numerous references to Albatros D.IIIs and Jasta 11. I picked this one webcast I really wanted to do the three color upper wing camo. The lighter shade is not a blue color at all as it appears in the picture, but is a pale greenish gray - which matched to hte references I have for Pale Brunswick Green.

More to follow,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

As someone familiar with WW1 planes mostly from playing Red Baron on my computer back in the day, I declare this model to be "extremely high poly" and the paintjob to be "amazing texture work".

FierceKitty

Ah, Red Baron....I remember that nobody ever turned aside from a head-on attack, so you had a choice of turning and being raked with bullets, or colliding.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Lovely work and reminds me that I have some planes 'in progress' somewhere...