Example armies

Started by cmuk, 06 April 2017, 08:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmuk

Hello,

I'm new to BC and wondered if there are any example army's available (based on a base is a platoon) anywhere?

I always find it very useful, so I can tell how many minis/bases I might need and the effort involved! as well as giving a good mental picture of what is on the table.

petercooman

06 April 2017, 08:07:08 AM #1 Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 09:23:14 AM by petercooman
On the old blitzkrieg commander homepage there are a lot of battle reports.

Might be worthwhile to check those out!

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Reports/default.aspx

cmuk

Thanks, worked my way through most of them - most are just pics and commentary but there are a few good ones with the forces listed.

ronan

Hello

Although Petercooman didn't write the scale, here's a scenario with OB :
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8283.0.html

For my games, we use historical Order of Battles and kept the ratios of men/vehicles. Or we bought our units while restricting to the OB. The scale for one base may not be what you want, but the overall effect is ok.
I hope this will help you.

petercooman

I used it more at 1 stand= 1 squad.

cmuk

Thanks for your replies,

What does a typical 2-3 hour game represent at a stand = a platoon - a few companies or a whole battalion? 
I take it the army lists are just generic for a theater of battle - could I get away with using the company platoon charts in FOW for what platoons a particular company had available in conjunction with the army list in the book for a passable attempt at history?

Ithoriel

We play 1 stand = a platoon.

My force tends to be built around a 9 stand infantry battalion with a couple of MG stands, a mortar stand, a couple of AT guns, three to nine tanks, something for recon and either artillery or aircraft. A CinC, an HQ or three and an FOO or FAO.

Not an invariable line-up but I've found it a decent, balanced force.

Hope that helps.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Off the top of my head my British Battalions tend to be:

1 x CO

Each Battalion:
2 x HQ
1 x FAO
1 x Recce (vehicle or foot)
9-12 x Infantry units, which may have AT rifle or PIAT upgrades at one upgrade per 3 units.
2-3 MG units
1 x 3" mortar
1 x ATG

You can then add in other assets as you see fit, such as more ATGs, artillery support, air support, attached tank units etc.

Genom

We've just finished a Campaign that we were playing at club, about 3 hours a night. My German force (At Maximum) was as follows.

1x CO
2x HQ
1x FAO
1x Recce Unit

3x Artillery Units.
3x Panzer Units
6x Infantry Units
3x MG's
6x Trucks
3x Sdkfz 251/1
2x ATG (StuG-III or Pak-40)

cmuk

Thanks guys,

Thats a great help

Dave Fielder

Check out the Rapid Fire ORBATS Free downloads: http://www.rapid-fire-uk.com/free-downloads/ There are some good organisations there that will help, the scale is the same as BKC 1,2 or 3 so forces translate well.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

kustenjaeger

Greetings

With BKC II I was building historic orbats at 1 stand = a platoon and using points as a tool for scenario balance. Have run a number of Kursk period scenarios with moderate success this way - usually 2 German battalions (1 motorised, 1 panzer) plus supports against 2-3 Soviet infantry and/or a tank brigade. Also built orbats for Operation Battleaxe in North Africa and for several 1940-41 desert scenarios.

As an example one of the Kursk scenarios using 10mm on a 6' x 4' table 1cm = 20m had the following briefing for the Soviet player:

Your 225 Guards Rifle Regiment (of 78 Guards Rifle Division of 25 Guards Rifle Corps of 7 Guards Army) has been tasked with the first line defence of the Donets river line against the Fascists.  Your first echelon formed of 1/225 GRR on the left and 2/225 on the right has been penetrated by enemy tanks - you are under instructions to halt the enemy advance.  Your HQ is dug in with your reserve 3d battalion about 2km beyond the Railway line.  Behind your infantry position are divisional artillery positions designed as anti-tank defence but may also fire indirect under direction of a FO position
Remnants of 1/225 GRR are retiring from Nizhnyi Ol'shanets (on your left front). You may obtain tank support for a counter-attack from 167 Tank Regiment supporting 25 Guards Rifle Corps.
Limited minefields and wire have been deployed [which the player(s) need to map/place].

The Soviet force was a dug in battalion with an HQ, 9 infantry, 3 MMG, 2 82mm mortars, 1 AT rifle stand and a 45mm ATG.  Regimental assets were a CO, FO, 120mm mortar and infantry gun.  The artillery battalion had 2 76mm guns and 1 122mm howitzer with an AT rifle stand.  The remnants of 1/225 were an HQ, an MMG and a few infantry stands.  The 167 Tank Regiment counter-attack force was an HQ, 3 T-34, 3 T-70 and 3 SMG tank riders but only appeared when the initial defence line was breached.

For their part the Germans had 2 players with KG Schulz of 7 Panzer Division: CO with a Tiger and. Pz II recce, a 2 battalion panzer grenadier regiment (PzGr-Rgt.7) (HQ, recce motorcycle, pioneer stand, 15cm IG plus 2 battalions each HQ, FO, 9 infantry, 2 MMG, 1 8cm mortar, 1 5cm PAK, 1 7.5cm leIG) and a panzer battalion (I/Pz-Rgt.25) of HQ, 5 Pz III long, 1 Pz III (75) and 4 Pz IV long, with off board artillery and Stuka support.

Hope this gives you a feel for the possibilities.

The points values have changed but the BKC II points assumed 1500-2000 or so points as an average force. The Soviets in the above scenario had 2970 and the Germans 4660.  The game was intended to play for about 4-5 hours as written. 

Regards

Edward