WW1 Anzacs

Started by hobuyuran, 29 March 2017, 09:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobuyuran

Hi there,
Here my 3rd completed 10mm army:
WW1 Anzacs  (Ignore the guys on darker bases who are extra bases for 1877 Ottomans WIP).
I think I've got the tricks of painting 10mms by that army. It was fun and fast to paint (took long due to long breaks) and results were better than my expectations.
The keys are, first using lighter versions of color what you had in my mind. Second using contrasting tones as much as you can. So details pops out.
I recommend highlight and blacklining instead of wash. Washing makes all colors blend and cover all nice/small detail you painstakingly put into mini.
Washing is only good for bases. Again needs highlight on top of that. Bases need special attention with at least 2 kind of flock/texture. Bases also needs to be contrasting to overall mini color.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s267.photobucket.com/user/hobuyuran/embed/slideshow/10mm%20WW1%20Anzacs%202016%20Oct-2017%20March"></iframe>

I built this army for using at Trial by Fire rules of Batukhan.

The army (battalion/regiment) consists of ;
5 infantry companies
2 Cavalry
2 Dismounted Cavalry
3 MG section
1 Commander
It needs a small artillery support and thats it. For now I need play some games first.

It took about 6 months from Oct 2016 to yesterday to complete them with lots of breaks.
I am not fully happy with the bases since they came out most like dark soil than desert. But I will use them for Gallipolli as well, so no problem there.

I used below minis:
WW1 Anzac Infantry slouch hat shirt AN1
WW1 Middle East Australian infantry ME2
WW1 Middle East Dismounted Australian cavalry ME4
WW1 Middle East Australian cavalry ME5
WW1 Middle East Australian HMG (3) ME10

Uniform is Vallejo British Uniform. Uniform highlight is 50/50% mix with yellow and Vallejo British Uniform.
Webbing etc is GW Bleached Bone or brown.
Base is Revell Afrika Sand with GW Mournfag Brown (old Bestial Brown my favorite) wash then highlight with Afrika Sand plus Afrika Sand+Bleach Bone mix highlight.
Flock is GW's Burnt Grass
Side of bases are Italeri Panzer Grun

KTravlos

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those are rather topper, especially the blue shirted chaps.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Those look terrific.

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

Nice looking troops.

IMO, dip/Polyshades/AP shades do a better job of not staining your paint than water based washes.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!