10mm Napoleonic British Marines

Started by Kato, 28 March 2017, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kato

Hello all,

Long time listener ...first time caller.  I look to the educated masses ... I am looking to build up a British Napoleonic Marine Battalion in 10mm ... Anyone know which Pendraken range would fit?  I know that all the pics I have seen show the Marines with a top hat looking hat.  Ideas?  I was thinking either the round hat AWI Brits ... or even the Grens from the same line with those small caps ... but i cant see real clear

thoughts?

thanks!
Kato

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Can't personally help, Kato....But welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you the info you're after.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There are communalism in the 1870 range with toppers?

Hello and welcome
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

It would depend on hat time/year you are wanting to represent them in. Early in the Wars of the French Revolution and early Napoleonic period they are a bicorn hat, and at some time before Trafalgar they switched to the top hat.  The coat style also changed with that of the army.
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Kato

Quote from: Terry37 on 28 March 2017, 05:20:13 PM
It would depend on hat time/year you are wanting to represent them in. Early in the Wars of the French Revolution and early Napoleonic period they are a bicorn hat, and at some time before Trafalgar they switched to the top hat.  The coat style also changed with that of the army.

I guess I am looking for when they had the top hat ... the later periods.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

GrumpyOldMan

29 March 2017, 12:12:19 AM #6 Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 01:09:40 AM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello Kato

Quote from: Kato on 28 March 2017, 06:51:31 PM
I guess I am looking for when they had the top hat ... the later periods.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

The only Pendraken ones I can think of as anywhere close would be British AWI in round hats and that's stretching the friendship, with slouch hats replacing top hats  :-

Capitan Games did have a range of figures but they seem to have regressed into a kickstarter  :-/. An American company makes bespoke British Marines, but other wise not much joy I'm afraid.

Edit:- The American company that makes 'laser dreams work' seems to have the ships and some of the crew that Capitan was selling.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

d_Guy

Welcome Kato!
This is a long shot. I think Russian light infantry wore a topper and plume in the early 1800's, leastwise I have some 20mm 1805 Russians so adorned.I don't know the Pendraken Napoleonic ranges and looks like they are mainly Borodino period. Maybe this rings a bell for someone else?
Sleep with clean hands ...

quasar42

Hi, the Nap Austrian Landwehr and Jäger are in top hat. Not sure if the uniform works. Perhaps with some creative painting or some head swapping

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/NPA10-p6260/#img

http://www.pendraken.co.uk/NPA9-p6259/#img

Westmarcher

I've got it in my head that I read somewhere that both British and French drafted in Line units as "marines" in addition to their specific Marine regiments and, if you accept that as an alternative, Pendraken will be able to provide the necessary figures. For uniform details, no doubt some research will reveal which units got their sea legs.

However, if you wish to have specifically sculpted Royal Marines, perhaps further enquiry using the following link may help? (see video) -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiocapitan/post-captain-10mm-tactical-naval-rules-plus-ships?ref=user_menu 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My great-great-great grandad was on a mortar barge at Copenhagen, he was Royal Artillery.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bernie

http://studiocapitan.com/post-captain-10mm-miniatures-gallery/

Try the Full Captain 10mm figures - Do British Marines, French, Spanish and sailors and some guns. See them round the shows like Caliver doing display games of their nice ships.

Nice company - very friendly

Westmarcher

Well done, Bernie! Good link. These are the same miniatures shown 2 mins 7 seven seconds in on the Kickstarter video from the link in my post.  :-bd

[lemmey - sounds interesting. Any more details?]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yup, he had 'Waterloo' on his pension! 3rd RA, invalided out with arthritis in 1819, went on to run a pub!

fsn

Quote from: mad lemmey on 29 March 2017, 04:53:56 PM
My great-great-great grandad was on a mortar barge at Copenhagen, he was Royal Artillery.
Quote from: mad lemmey on 29 March 2017, 10:43:55 PM
Yup, he had 'Waterloo' on his pension! 3rd RA, invalided out with arthritis in 1819, went on to run a pub!

OK, so assume he was pensioned out at 50, had kids at 25. Then his kids all had their kids at 25, that means Lemmey was born in 1894.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!