Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Well, it has again been a few weeks since I last posted but decided to post this. My interest in Sedgemoor has actually kindled a much larger interest in the wars of the era. Finally I could resist it no more, and I have been working on a French Army of Louis XIV. I have selected the Normandie Regiment as a starting point as their uniforms seemed relatively straightforward, and I have loads of Matchlock men in my "lead mountain", and whilst I am to do some guards units, they surely would have flintlock as opposed to older Matchlock. I have done the Pike section (I am using Pike and Shotte rules) and am now doing a unit of grenadiers. I must admit to having no info on whether the Normandie Regt did have grenadiers, or what they looked like, but hopefully these are credible!

urbancohort

urbancohort

Westmarcher

Quote from: urbancohort on 25 November 2019, 08:44:14 PM
... and am now doing a unit of grenadiers. I must admit to having no info on whether the Normandie Regt did have grenadiers, or what they looked like, but hopefully these are credible!

Hmmm! Hope you are correct (but I have a feeling I've read somewhere that French Grenadiers during the 9YW may have worn floppy hats) - fingers crossed.   :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

On the bottom right of the Flickr page there is an arrow 'turning right', click on this

In the pop up box click on BBCode, copy and paste the contents of the next box into the Pendran Forum and Post

Before copying you can use the next box down to select the image size you want, I used Medium (640x480)

2019-11-25_08-55-33 by Graham Price, on Flickr

paulr

urbancohort

Quote from: Westmarcher on 25 November 2019, 09:02:49 PM
Hmmm! Hope you are correct (but I have a feeling I've read somewhere that French Grenadiers during the 9YW may have worn floppy hats) - fingers crossed.   :-
I definitely read that a few years later the "Gardes Française" and French Swiss guard had Grenadier companies who wore fur caps, do it isn't a huge leap to say they were wearing similar headgear 10 or so years earlier. The "sock" hats seem logical, at least my figs have got the floppy bit to the side!

urbancohort

Quote from: paulr on 26 November 2019, 12:52:04 AM
On the bottom right of the Flickr page there is an arrow 'turning right', click on this

In the pop up box click on BBCode, copy and paste the contents of the next box into the Pendran Forum and Post

Before copying you can use the next box down to select the image size you want, I used Medium (640x480)

Many thanks. I have incredible difficulties getting photos on the forum when I try to post. It doesn't help that the camera on my phone (fliipin' Sony Xperia... Never again!) doesn't seem to be able to focus on close shots for all I play with the settings!

Westmarcher

Quote from: urbancohort on 26 November 2019, 05:45:15 AM
I definitely read that a few years later the "Gardes Française" and French Swiss guard had Grenadier companies who wore fur caps, do it isn't a huge leap to say they were wearing similar headgear 10 or so years earlier. The "sock" hats seem logical, at least my figs have got the floppy bit to the side!

My comments are well intentioned, aiming to guide you away from any paint work which may prove to have been unnecessary. Personally, I would leave the fur capped miniatures aside for future units in armies where the evidence is strong that their grenadier units wore fur caps.

Hopefully, there is someone out there with more knowledge who can provide more information (because I'm certainly no expert).

In this 'History of the Grenadier' in the Royal Scots website (re-enactors, to be fair, but usually they take their research fairly seriously), they suggest early French grenadier caps were more likely to be cloth or the 'sock' type caps, you mentioned.

http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/grenadier.html

At first the Grenadiers of Louis's army were uniformed in the regular standard infantry uniform. ......... By 1676 we see special fur lined tuque like hats being worn, obviously a practical change as the wide brimmed hat must have gotten in the way of slinging muskets and throwing grenades. These hats were also an early version of the cloth mitre and eventually the tall bearskin hat. It is interesting to note that the first bear skin Grenadier hats appear in France during the 1740's and if you follow styles, those nations who were Protestant, such as Hanover, and Britain wore the mitre while Catholic countries such as Austria and France wore bearskins.

There is also someone on Barry Hilton's League of Augsburg 'Fighting Talk' forum making the assertion that by the LoA/9YW, French grenadiers wore felt hats.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightingtalk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3631

I don't know how accurate that is but, as most will know, Barry is really into the LoA having published various rules for the period, running the above website and forum and starting up his own miniatures company devoted to armies of the LoA. There could yet be an appropriate addition to the Warfare Miniatures range but it just seems curious to me that he has not yet produced fur capped French grenadiers for the LoA.   

Then there's Charles S Grant's Armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars.  Here he says,

It seems few (French grenadiers) wore the sort of hat associated with grenadiers. Instead they wore the sort of hat turned up at the sides, with the exception of the Garde Francaise who had grenadier type hats.

Of course, that source relates to the WSS but, equally, it isn't a huge leap to say they were wearing similar headgear 10 or so years earlier.  So, at some point the common French grenadier headwear may well have changed from felt hat to sock cap then back to felt hat but not involving fur hats. The good news is that Pendraken sell LOA15: Grenadiers, Cloth Caps, Standing (although there is no photo, as yet)

Nice paint job, by the way.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

urbancohort

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 November 2019, 11:39:05 AM
My comments are well intentioned, aiming to guide you away from any paint work which may prove to have been unnecessary.

And well received, I assure you! All help/advice most gratefully received!  :)

In this 'History of the Grenadier' in the Royal Scots website (re-enactors, to be fair, but usually they take their research fairly seriously), they suggest early French grenadier caps were more likely to be cloth or the 'sock' type caps, you mentioned.

http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/grenadier.html

At first the Grenadiers of Louis's army were uniformed in the regular standard infantry uniform. ......... By 1676 we see special fur lined tuque like hats being worn, obviously a practical change as the wide brimmed hat must have gotten in the way of slinging muskets and throwing grenades. These hats were also an early version of the cloth mitre

This is fascinating! Thank you again.

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightingtalk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3631

Thank you for these resources!

LOA15: Grenadiers, Cloth Caps, Standing
(although there is no photo, as yet)

As it happens, that is the figure code of the bag I used here! 😂

Nice paint job, by the way.  :)

You are v kind. I tremble before your in depth knowledge and offer my profuse thanks for sharing with me, as I have none of the resources you deploy there. This is why I 😍 this forum.

The paint job is improving of course as I practice, and whilst somewhat out of practice, the skills et is slowly returning!

DHautpol

A bit of a late entry to this.

I don't depict grenadiers in the main body of a unit but I do have a few units of converged French Grenadiers for use where the scenarios warrant them.  I had thought of trying to add "ribbons" of GreenStuff to the basic musketeer figures.

I mentioned this in a chat with Barry Hilton (Beneath the Lily Banners) who instead suggested using dismounted dragoons in the "stocking" caps and removing the buttons from their gaitors to turn them into stockings.  This was a much easier approach and the finished units looked very effective.   
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!