Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

My t'other half found it as she complains about the lighting of my piccies (granted, she's a much better 'tog than I am, just a shame I can never get her to take the bloody things for me :D), and suggested it would be a major bump. I quite want a cheap portable/foldable light box now as well :D

For a fiver it was well worth it, and I can just leave it on the desk and grab it at need so it's dead convenient - set up or storage is minimal ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Given the informed criticisms above (guilty m'lud!) And still not having ordered the selfie ring - promise I will! I thought I would add tgese photographs of the finished unit of Coldstreamers. Still a long way to go before I get to the standards of painting seen elsewhere. Whilst I am satisfied with the 'mass' overall impact the induviduals leave much to be desired.

In particular I can't get those faces right, despite trying to adhere to all the instruction here an on other posts.

Also, which is better in your opinion, fellow Pendrakeners, shading to represent the folds of clothes, be that by dry brushing or ink washes, or the technique whereby gaps are created using black paint? And if the latter does one also shade or use flat colours for the coloured areas?

I have used vallejo burnt red as the basis for these figures. That is almost a brick red. I have read somewhere that before industrial cloth production that the coats of infantry, at least, probably WERE an almost brick red colour, not the scarlet and bright shades we often use. I then highlighted the private sentinels' coats with flat red and vermilliin, adding some scarlet to the officers.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

d_Guy

Hi Urban,
I really like the Coldsream, nicely done! You have already exceeded my own painting standards (which is why Pixie is painting mine) so I can offer no useful advise other then to say put them on the board and game with them.😀

What I vaugly remember from days long past - madder was the usually red dye used for rank and file coats. The wool could me fixed with various metal salts to help hold or slightly modify the color. The usually shade was a slightly orange to pink - brick red. Officers, who generally used private tailors, usually used the more exotic cochineal (ground up insects from somewhere?) which gave a deeper, richer, longer lasting scarlet. Of course I could easily be wrong about all of this.

Basically I just play with the things.  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

I think initially in the post-Civil War  era the officers tended to wear crimson. When they switched to scarlet in the late C17th or early C18th the crimson was kept in the sash to further distinguish them from the rank and file.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

urbancohort

Quote from: d_Guy on 28 October 2017, 04:28:27 PM
Hi Urban,
I really like the Coldsream, nicely done! You have already exceeded my own painting standards (which is why Pixie is painting mine) so I can offer no useful advise other then to say put them on the board and game with them.😀

What I vaugly remember from days long past - madder was the usually red dye used for rank and file coats. The wool could me fixed with various metal salts to help hold or slightly modify the color. The usually shade was a slightly orange to pink - brick red. Officers, who generally used private tailors, usually used the more exotic cochineal (ground up insects from somewhere?) which gave a deeper, richer, longer lasting scarlet. Of course I could easily be wrong about all of this.

Basically I just play with the things.  :)
Ha ha! Yes, that is good advice. Just started basing the Horse Grenadiers and made a slight departure from previous. It'll be interesting to see what people think, so standby for the shots when the stand is completed.

urbancohort

Quote from: Leman on 28 October 2017, 04:46:36 PM
I think initially in the post-Civil War  era the officers tended to wear crimson. When they switched to scarlet in the late C17th or early C18th the crimson was kept in the sash to further distinguish them from the rank and file.
That makes sense! Thanks Leman.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

So, here is the first viewing of my Horse Grenadier units. I am primarily thinking of using these with 'The Pikeman's Revenge' skirmish rules, which I believe probably better recreate the sort of actions where dragoons, HGs and to a certain extent grenadier units would play a key part. Thus I am looking for a different 'feel' for the units.

By using the 60mm base though it does allow my units to be used in more mainstream actions.

I realise that this is more of a 'diorama' look to it and hence won't be to everyone's taste but let me know what you think. The base isn't yet finished so there will be more about this concept.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Goodness gracious me! It's been a few days short of TWO YEARS since I last did anything on this...!

Like Rip Van Winkle I awake from a wargaming slumber/sabbatical and wonder just what I've been about all this time... And my lead mountain has decreased by not a single figure.

So hello again old comrades, the steam is being raised, the brushes are being readied, and hopefully this blog will be restarting again, revitalised by the rest...

Ithoriel

Daub Errata

Paint placidly amid the noise and haste, and make the most of whatever passes for silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with spouses, parents, pets and children.

Pass on tips quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their insights.

Avoid power gamers, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser painters than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own armies, however humble; they are a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution on EBay; for it is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strike surprising deals; and everywhere there are bargains.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Especially, do not feign an interest. Neither be cynical about production schedules; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment sooner or later someone will make a model of it in a scale you want.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth; eyesight, steady hands ....

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many botched paint jobs are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of Pendraken, no less than Techno, Mad Lemmy or Leon ; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Pendraken figure ranges are unfolding as they should. Therefore be at peace with Leon, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep pace with your purchases.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to paint something.

<Sorry Max> :)

Not sure if that will cause inspiration or desperation but look forward to signs of progress, however humble!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data