Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

So, I have made a start on the Coldstream (2nd Regt of Foot) Guards. I have chosen to use Pikemen with breastplates as my sources suggest they were at least equipped with those although it is a moot point as to whether they were wearing them at Sedgemoor or not. I have chosen a formation where the pike block, with ensigns embedded, are fronted by the  grenadier company. At this time the Guards had companies double the strength of the line companies, qhich I could have ignored but decided not to. Thus the Guards will be on double sized bases with more figs on them.

Haven't yet done the musketmen, as I need to order a few more flintlock equipped infantry. They should be completed soonish.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

d_Guy

Looking very good, Urban. I particularly like the treatment you've don on the pike shafts.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

urbancohort

Vallejo Buff then washed with Army Painter Flesh Wash...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

urbancohort

I have also tried light yellow as a start colour. If uou look at wooden poles they are not usually the heavy brown colours we picture them to be. They are much lighter.

urbancohort

Finished the flintlockmen for the Coldstream Regiment. Still got to complete the base itself.

Central pike block, Musketeers in from of block and muskets to wings. Officer and drummer to right wing ( of formation, left in photo) and ensigns embedded in the pike block. Seen representations of this on woodcuts, this is my attempt to replicate.

toxicpixie

They're gonna very beefy on table :)

Can I suggest more light on the photo's though?

I just got one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/selfie-ring-light/7ze4ktj8c6wo942 and it's pretty handy!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Quote from: toxicpixie on 25 October 2017, 01:09:39 PM
They're gonna very beefy on table :)

Can I suggest more light on the photo's though?

I just got one of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/selfie-ring-light/7ze4ktj8c6wo942 and it's pretty handy!
Unfortunately I only have the camera on my phone! But I'll try to get better shots on it later once base is done.😁

toxicpixie

The selfie ring clips over the top of the phone so it throws light straight where you snapping :)

For a fiver it's very decent!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Quote from: toxicpixie on 25 October 2017, 02:03:46 PM
The selfie ring clips over the top of the phone so it throws light straight where you snapping :)

For a fiver it's very decent!
Yes, realised after I replied. I might give it a go!