Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Interesting stuff, and my son works for a logistics company which moves Thatchers cider all over the place.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

urbancohort

Quote from: Leman on 18 July 2017, 11:52:17 AM
Interesting stuff, and my son works for a logistics company which moves Thatchers cider all over the place.
What a great job!!!! I am usually a Shepherd Neame beer man when I drink, but in honour of the area....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Gazza

Lovely stuff. Keep meaning to visit the battlefield as it's only about an hour from me. Not quite related, but if you do go to Westonzoyland you should really visit the pumping station too!

'Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire? The one nearest the door of course.' - GB Shaw

Das Blog: http://we-stand-and-fight.blogspot.co.uk/

urbancohort

Quote from: Gazza on 18 July 2017, 09:27:56 PMLovely stuff. Keep meaning to visit the battlefield as it's only about an hour from me. Not quite related, but if you do go to Westonzoyland you should really visit the pumping station too!
Cheers Gazza, I'll take a look if I can.

urbancohort

Unfortunately, I didn't get to Westonzoyland but have resparked my enthusiasm, so watch this space for more updates on my Sedgemoor project. Also looking at a small skirmish scenario based around the battle at Phillipsnorton, (Norton St Phillip). An old school friend who is an archaeologist and lives in the area took me round last night and explained where he thinks things occurred, recommending some reading to me.
I think there is a scenario suitable for Pikeman's Lament. Forty five grenadiers were ordered to recce the rebel defences and keep going until they came under fire. They are recorded as doing so in close order. The lane was heavily hedged in and they obviously didn't scout well or were over confident. At the barrier and probably along the still-extant stone wall of an orchard that ran south along Chevers (Bloody) Lane were a rearguard of 50 rebel muskets. The road drops steeply to the South. It was bucketing down with rain which presumably affected visibility, but walking the course of the old road a slight eminence probably created an awful lot of dead ground as they approached. When we walked there yesterday my friend explained how the rebels behind the wall effectively could have used it as a firestep. He also showed me why he thinks the current land is not the original one. To its side is an unregarded 'ditch' maybe four feet lower than the road. He contended that THAT was the original lane and because it gets flooded and nasty the new lane was cut when they started to metal the roads.

For the scenario I would envisage starting with grenadiers of Kirke's Regiment and the over-confident Duke of Grafton. The rebels should be poor-average but well defended. The objective for the grenadiers should be to remove the obstacle, or withdraw in good order to take the news back to the army and Feversham. The rebels aim should be to pin down the Royalist forces and prevent them doing either. The Rebels should have reinforcements nearer in larger numbers but poorer quality than the Royalists. The Royalists can call on two troops of Horse Grenadiers from the Household cavalry, about sixty troops. The Royalists should suffer penalties for movement in the poor conditions. I think possibly also a set number of turns is required.

Anyone with more experience than I have at wargaming got any ideas that umprove in thus concept? I am not proud and am willing to learn!

urbancohort

Enthused by my visit to the scene of one of the battles I was inspired to start on my armies again. I decided rather than do more Royalist troops I would start on some Rebel soldiers.

Pendraken 10mm scythemen are the basis. In fact, although the popular image of the rebellion is a load of muck-spattered, Satan-worshipping, corduroy-clad yokels armed with scythes and pitchforks, in fact 'sithmen' were a feared part of the rebel army. They were very much the counterpart of the grenadiers, a small but elite unit.

As the rebels were generally artisans and tradesmen, and mostly non-conformist, I have chosen sober browns and buffs. Blue was a colour associated with gentlemens' servants, and black was EXTREMELY expensive, so I have avoided those colours. One is obviously a bit of a dandy and I have allowed him some red.

This is the initial block painting part and I will be working further on these over the weekend.

Fear nought but God!

paulr

Interesting scenario ideas, I assume removing the obstacle would be a big win while 'legging it' would be a minor win :)

How good is Pikeman's Lament at pinning units down :-\ A lot of rules struggle with stopping players withdrawing
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

urbancohort

Paulr: thanks for replying. Yes, that was my idea of an outcome for a scenario. The Royalist player wins by getting away or best of all by removing the barricade. The rebel player, (if not done automatically) wins large by destroying the grenadier and horse grenadier units but succeeds if the Royalists are kept pinned down in the lane.

A draw would be extracting the force with 50% casualties I would have thought, (nearly the real outcome of the incident!)

I haven't yet played with the 'Pikeman's Lament' rules so I am not sure how good they are for 'pinning down. When I visited the location a few days ago it struck me how actually, the rebels could almost have thrown rocks at Grafton's men and kept them there.

perhaps other have played the rules and can advise us?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Latest views of the Scythemen. Despite appearance from my poor photography, one is not dressed in Silver!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

The painting is great!

But ... well ... err ... am I the only one looking at top row, second from the right and thinking he should have a fishing pole not a scythe?

Just me then :)

Lovely stuff none the less.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data