Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Thanks gents. I will finish Kirkes (I have to do 5 more pikes) then rebase Dumbartons.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

toxicpixie

Quote from: urbancohort on 11 June 2017, 08:58:20 PM
I hope to! I'm not doing this for fun... Well, I am, but I'm sure you know what I mean! ;)

We'll hold you to that :D

Seriously though, very nice.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Latest shots. Started basing the regiments. 5 companies, four 'hat'  and one grenadier. All pikes now done and deployable. By accident, this unit, Kirkes Regiment, actually represents a quarter of the number really at Sedgemoor in 1685. I have read the debates and comments re basing and understand them, but to me, this number of painted troops all deployed together looks good. Particularly when the bases will all be done. I am looking forwards to finally seeing an army gathered together although I suspect they will have a rather large frontage!!!

One of the companies has two flags: this  is the colonel with the first company.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Yep, they look great, especially the one with the basing done and better lighting.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Quotebut to me, this number of painted troops all deployed together looks good.

All the reason you need :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Cheers guys. It is the difficulties of taking photos on a smart phone. Move far enough away to see all the units and the flash doesn't work so well!

d_Guy

Hi Urban,
Some really knowledgeable people on this form have told me that you can get pretty good results with smartphones. I have an iPhone and on occasion will get a really good shot but often can't reproduce the shot. I did buy a cheap tripod and that helps a bit (although too lazy to set it up most of the time).

There are camera also apps that will add more fine control (but you are still left with one set of optics) but not enough to get significantly better results. Lots of light seems the single most important thing.

When of figure it out - tell me how you did it! :)

Here is the original discussion thread which contains much good information:
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,14164.0.html
Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

Number 1 tip - don't use flash.  You will either flood the figures with light, or non will reach them.
You are much better off getting lots of real light in. A piece of white card or paper in front of the figures will help a lot with getting light on to the front of them.

I find I get great results with my iPhone 6S - much better than earlier models. All smart phones are not equal, when it comes to cameras - some are much better than others. Try taking some close up photos outside in good light - can be of anything - the bricks in an old wall are good, as they tend to have lots of detail. Take the photo, then zoom in on it to see if the photo is crisp, this will give you a good idea if your camera has any chance of taking decent photos of small things.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

urbancohort

Latest update. Progress has been slow recently. Seventeen hours at a burnt out block of flats and two twelve hour night shifts has cramped my style a little in the last week, I am afraid! Now the second regiment is done, so here is the whole of my army such as it is. Dumbartons, four 'hat' companies and 1 grenadier company, Kirkes same, plus cavalry and dragoons. Basing far from complete. Next I will probably look at Trelawney's Regiment, or maybe the artillery. Looking forwards to the Guards Regiments - no matchlocks!

urbancohort

Appreciate the photos ain't brilliant but wanted to try to capture the look of the army!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!