Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Now based but bases not done yet. I have chosen to slightly stagger the lines because I believe 'knee to knee' doesn't mean with mechanical precision, especially in the later Stuart era. All the evidence that I have seen suggests that discipline and training was not as thorough as later eras and definitely not as well-drilled as the AWI/Napoleonic era. Additionally, even in these latter periods, horses are not machines but have what passes for brains between their ears. Each will have their own physical capabilities and the riders will have a range of experience and skills. Therefore I have shown the charge line as being a bit ragged deliberately. Interested to hear any views, guys?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Techno

I really like 'em.....The 'ragged line' works really well, to my eyes.

Cheers - Phil (Love the new title of the thread !! ;D ;D ;D)

toxicpixie

I'd base mine much like that :) With such individual looking figures it seems a waste to "regulate" them too much!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

First. Thanks for getting the apostrophe removed! I will no longer go through the sequence - write reply - post reply - curse - copy reply - reset - remove the apostrophe in title - paste reply - post. I did this every single time!

Like the painting as usually but the staggered basing works pretty well also.

As the them probably wearing pot helmets - I finally decide on the illustration in the book!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Progress on the dragoons. Varying states of completion, with the drummer very early stage whilst the hat men are nearing completion at the detailing stage. In fact, it appears that dragoons at Sedgemoor may have worn breast and backplates and helmets, but these came with the LoA allied army pack and the facts are not certain, so I have gone with what I have. Unfortunately, I can't find suitable flags for the unit in the flags Pendraken sells so I will have to paint some. These will be a mounted troop of the Royal Regiment of Dragoons when completed. Question is, do I base them as cavalry or infantry?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Of note, there is less lace on these than those I have painted to date. I assume that the dragoons were regarded as lower status and don't seem from illustrations to have the decorations and accomplishments of other units?

urbancohort

Based but the base not finished yet. Decided to follow my practice for cavalry bases, but reasoned that generally dragoons wouldn't be fighting from horseback, and as the Pendraken figs are moulded in 'passive' poses, so I have put them in column, not abreast. I am sure some expert will put me right on this and tell me dragoons didn't ride in column or something, but it has the advantage that although I am using the same no of figs per base, I can see at a glance they are not cavalry.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Glorfindel

If you are trying to find English Cavalry standards for Sedgemoor, you might find it useful to
look at the League of Augsburg shop :

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/products-subcat-6-3.html

Pages 3 and 4 of the 'Grand Alliance' flags category incude quite a few that might
be helpful.

I know that these flags are normally used with 28mm figures but, if you get in touch
with Barry Hilton using the 'contact me' link on the site, I understand that Barry
Hilton is happy to resize them.

Cheers,

Phil

Smoking gun

Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.