Urbancohort has started this painting thread and is keeping it wholly clear of apostrophes although it is all about his painting skills developing.

Started by urbancohort, 28 March 2017, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Quote from: toxicpixie on 28 March 2017, 06:39:12 PM
Pleasure. If the black is hard to make out, try a light grey/off white drybrush before you put any detail on - it should just pick up the raised bits, make them visible and add a little lighter tone to the high points.

That said, I do agree with D-Guy, DFlynn and the others - don't sweat it :D
Thanks for the good advice. Everyday a school day!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Fenton

I use a grey primer and a black wash to bring up the raised areas so I can see them . It also gives a sort of  black lining . I am an average painter I think and looking at your photo the paint seems a little thick but again might be the photo being zoomed in . I find a semi opaque brown wash helps an awful lot as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

urbancohort

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 March 2017, 10:35:14 AM
Hold it at 3' away, turn off the macro lens,be impressed by your amazing work!

DOUBLE apostrophe in title warning  ⚠️
Youbare quite correct! In my defence on the original post I had put the 2 apostrophes but realised I had posted in an inappropriate forum. I copy and pasted the original post but wrote title on a rush on a train to a funeral in Gloucester.

Mitigation, as a grammar nazi myself I have no defence and plead guilty.

urbancohort

The whole unit based but still work to do making base look better

urbancohort

Let's try those photos again...

urbancohort

Perhaps someone can advise... I am using matt acrylics, and matt varnish... why do I get shiny patches whilst avoiding getting white patches from too thick layers of the latter?

urbancohort

Here is the final article. I used Citadel Middenland Tufts to try and recreate the sort of sedge grass (? Not a botanist I am afraid) that might be found in a rather boggy area like the Somerset levels in 1685. Used a dark ink to try to stain the painted sand a bit darker. Now to start on some flintlock/matchlock men and grenadiers.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very nice work on that whole base.
I was not trying to be a grammar nut, sorry, just the apostrophes stop replies.

Sorry
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

urbancohort

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 March 2017, 08:55:26 PM
Very nice work on that whole base.
I was not trying to be a grammar nut, sorry, just the apostrophes stop replies.

Sorry
No apologies required! I went to Grammar school and am quite anal about it!

toxicpixie

Finished article looks great!

I like a spray varnish tbh and haven't had a problem with shiny puddling - some Matt  varnishes are matter than others though...

Another technique I like is similar to Fred's suggestion. A light undercoat (white, sometimes gray, sometimes the base colour if it's not too dark), then block paint and use a wash (magic or "proper" depending on taste) to shade.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

So, I now also have the first stand of matchlock men to go with the pikemen. Have adapted my technique and based the next batch in black paint.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: urbancohort on 28 March 2017, 08:50:52 PM
Here is the final article. I used Citadel Middenland Tufts to try and recreate the sort of sedge grass (? Not a botanist I am afraid) that might be found in a rather boggy area like the Somerset levels in 1685.

Just for the record: sedges are sedges; grasses are grasses; (and rushes are rushes)  :-B

They look pretty effective to me :-bd

Botanically yours  ;)

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

toxicpixie

Looks good to me! How did you find it - think they're "crisper" for less work, or harder, or... ?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

urbancohort

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 14 April 2017, 10:14:48 PM
Just for the record: sedges are sedges; grasses are grasses; (and rushes are rushes)  :-B

They look pretty effective to me :-bd

Botanically yours  ;)

Meirion
Every day a school day! I learned something new!

urbancohort

Quote from: toxicpixie on 14 April 2017, 10:26:59 PM
Looks good to me! How did you find it - think they're "crisper" for less work, or harder, or... ?
All I really know is:
1) there is a point when the main colours are on the figure and it is looking truly pants and I want to give up and take up needlework.
2) the figures look better to my eye than the photos show.
3) I am and always have been a looney perfectionist so unless all my figs look like Clib's I won't be happy with them..

Don't know I would describe my efforts as 'crisp' but I think that the high quality of the castings helps.  As I said, I have painted the next batch black as per advice given earlier on this forum.