Habforce Battle of Palmyra 1941

Started by Fenton, 25 March 2017, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Hi guys

Does any one have any TOE's for the Allied and Vichy french involved in this at all

Cheers
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The Cheshire Yeomanry were there with one mounted squadron - cant help much more.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Iirc Mark Bevis has them in his MicroMark lists - try wargames vault, at worst they'll cost you half a pint :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Subedai

Just found this on Google...might help. Even if it doesn't help at least you narrow the field as to who wasn't there.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Subedai

DOH! I actually copied the link...and promptly forgot to add it. The words brains and dangerous spring to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqforce

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Fenton

Asked on the TOE group - will copy over.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Fenton

KTravlos

According to a article in Issue 83 of Stratiotiki Istoria (Military History, a Greek magazine) the Vichy french forces at Plamyra were a small force of Senegalese, and Legionaries. The Allied forces were a British Cavalry Brigade,an Indian Army Brigade , and parts of the Arab Legion.

There refenreces are

Richard E.Osborne World War II in Colonial Africa
Henri De Qailly: Syrie 1941-La Guerre Censuree
Simon Rigge: War in the Outposts

And a number of Osprey's.

Hope this is of some minor help.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

16 June 2017, 04:59:50 PM #11 Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 05:59:40 PM by fsn
"Habforce was commanded by Major General John Clark. During the Anglo-Iraqi War, Habforce was organized into two parts: a flying column named Kingcol and the main body. The main body, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel John Nichols, comprised the Headquarters of the 1st Cavalry Division (elements), the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment, the 60th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, and one artillery battery of anti-tank guns, Royal Artillery. A detachment of the Arab Legion initially advanced ahead of Kingcol.

In Syria, Habforce comprised the 4th Cavalry Brigade, the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment, the Arab Legion Mechanized Regiment, the 237th Battery, 60th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, an Australian battery of 2 pounder anti-tank guns, and the 169th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery."

https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Habforce&item_type=topic

Colin Smith in "England's Last War Against France" pp174-175 says: May 41
Kingcol  - Household Cavalry Rgt in 15cwt Morris & Chevrolet trucks
           - 9 x 25pdr
           - "Some" 1915 RAF armoured cars (Rolls Royce?)
           - LAD
           - Essex Rgt (200 men)
           - Glubbs Girls (350 Arab Legion)

Habforce - 1st Cav Div , 4th Brigade - 1 sqn each Warwick Yeo, Wilts Yeo (200 men each in canvas topped trucks so old that some had solid tyres)

Pg 246 June 41
           - 4th Cav Brig (Warwick Yeo, Wilts Yeo)
           - 1st Essex
           - Household Cavalry
           - 9 x RAF Armoured Cars
           - 350 Glubb's Girls
           - Troop Australian AT Guns
           - staff cars, ambulances petrol & water bowsers, signals trucks
"but most people were packed into yellow painted 3 ton trucks of one kind or another, some stolen from the Iraqi army."

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Now that sounds a colourful force :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!