Roman Italian Allies

Started by notmatthew, 21 March 2017, 11:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notmatthew

Hi folks,
Does anyone have any photos of painted Italian allies?  Does anyone have reference photos for artwork that inspired the poses?  I am a bit thrown off by the spear on one of the sculpts as I just want to tell the guy to "choke up" on the baseball bat!  Thanks, some insight would be appreciated.  I would like to find good Tarentines, Latins, Oscans, and Brutii.

Matt J

For Italian allies just use the hastati, Principe and triari models. Italian allies armed and armoured similar to the romans in the republican era.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

FierceKitty

22 March 2017, 01:03:29 AM #2 Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 01:09:12 AM by FierceKitty
The question might be asking about the Pendraken Italian allies model. Note the specified nations in the OP; Roman enemies in some cases.

Tarentum/Taras was a Greek colony, which gives some hints of what proxies to use.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

notmatthew

I found that Old Glory has some Latins in their Republican Roman range but with no pictures.   I am also unsure of how they compare to Pendraken in general. 

I would like to have early enemies for Rome and/or allies in the form of the various Italian peoples.  I bought Accensi, Tarantine Cav, and Hoplites which I think will make passable Italians.  I also purchased a pack of Samnites from Newline.  Looking for more options as I am going while hog into the Hellenistic age. 

notmatthew

Matt J:  I have painted a few units of Hastatii and Princeps with different colored feathers and shields to represent allies "armed in the Roman fashion"

It is hard to see with the allowed photo size but the allies are in the back with white feathers and yellow shields.

FierceKitty

Quote from: notmatthew on 22 March 2017, 01:18:22 AM
  Looking for more options as I am going while hog into the Hellenistic age. 

Meaning that once you change into a sheep you'll take something else on? 555555
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: notmatthew on 21 March 2017, 11:02:59 PM
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any photos of painted Italian allies?  Does anyone have reference photos for artwork that inspired the poses?  I am a bit thrown off by the spear on one of the sculpts as I just want to tell the guy to "choke up" on the baseball bat!

I believe he's referring to code 'ARR9' the troop on the left holding the spear near the bottom.  Maybe it's just the angle of the picture and there's more length at the other end?

notmatthew

Yeah, I was referring to that sculpt.  The minis look cool enough but they just don't evoke Ancient Italy for me. If the helms had some feathers, the tunic was shorter, or the shield looked more like either a hoplon or a scutum they would work well. 

I am still going to buy one pack of them as I can find a use for them.