Unhandiwork 2017

Started by Leman, 21 March 2017, 10:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Some 10mm SYW Prussian garrison troops (5th) - figures Old Glory, battalion gun Pendraken, flags Not by Appointment blog, farm charity shop. Photos taken on my old Nokia phone as camera has died. Looks like mutton stew for the lads tonight.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

That farm will look marvellous once it's been landscaped a bit.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Techno

Damn fine, Andy !

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Ummm...should garrison troops have colours?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If they are line troops on garrison duty - yes, otherwise no.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mollinary

21 March 2017, 02:48:14 PM #7 Last Edit: 21 March 2017, 02:59:36 PM by mollinary
Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 March 2017, 02:23:38 PM
If they are line troops on garrison duty - yes, otherwise no.

IanS

Not true, Ian, I am afraid.  Frederick's Garrison Regiments, about 12 of them I think, all had colours. Also, in times of necessity, some of them even served in the field.  The flags, apart from those of GRs 1 and 2, did not carry the Prussian Eagle in a central disc,  but only the 'FR' monogram superimposed on the field. As Leman says, his picture is of one of the battalions of GR 5, which fought at both Paltzig/Kay and Kunersdorf. I was lucky enough to visit both fields last year, and I don't envy GR 5 having to fight on either!

Mollinary

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Well I were going from British practice.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jambo1

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 March 2017, 03:39:50 PM
Well I were going from British practice.

Things are often done differently overseas, that's what makes them foreign ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mollinary on 21 March 2017, 02:48:14 PM
Not true, Ian, I am afraid.  Frederick's Garrison Regiments, about 12 of them I think, all had colours. Also, in times of necessity, some of them even served in the field.  The flags, apart from those of GRs 1 and 2, did not carry the Prussian Eagle in a central disc,  but only the 'FR' monogram superimposed on the field. As Leman says, his picture is of one of the battalions of GR 5, which fought at both Paltzig/Kay and Kunersdorf. I was lucky enough to visit both fields last year, and I don't envy GR 5 having to fight on either!

Mollinary

Mollinary

Ta for the info.

Leman

The farm will be getting the base, filler, fences. bushes etc, so should end up looking ok.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

clibinarium

Kronoskaff has good info on uniforms and colours of Garrison regiments;

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Prussian_Army#Garrison_Troops

Frederick put them in the field in times of desperation. Also the grenadiers of these regiments were converged into the "Standing" grenadier battalions, which saw action throughout the war, the grenadiers interestingly often had uniforms different to the musketeers (more like the mainstream army than the comparative simplicity of their parent regiments).