Scots "ECW" Casualties

Started by mollinary, 20 March 2017, 09:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

I have now got heavily into producing destroyed unit markers formthis period, and use casaulty figures as disorder markers. but..... we lack any Scottish markers. All these would require would be to replace the headgear of the existing casualties with a Scots bonnet. Maybe even a combined set with just one horse and one foot casualty?  Happy to contribute to the costs of these if we can get them done relatively quickly.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

To be fair I've only done it with 15mm figures (kepi to fez) but shouldn't be too hard to shave off the existing headgear and replace it with a blob of greenstuff or milliput.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

I sliced the crown of the hat, painted the figure hodden and the new bonnet blue:

You paint better so yours would look better  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

I am sure you are right, but i want 100+ of these figures, and this is not my area of expertise!

Mollinary

d_Guy

I've done a couple dozen standing figures in Monmouth or Montero and modified with greenstuff to bonnets - it is a bit of a pain.
The casualty markers with hats need only a single xacto cut to take off the crown, paint does the rest so really not as bad as you think.

If Pendraken want to make them I will be right there with you buying them, however.
Sleep with clean hands ...

GrumpyOldMan

21 March 2017, 12:17:24 AM #5 Last Edit: 21 March 2017, 12:44:44 AM by GrumpyOldMan
Hi

What about, in the meantime use d_Guy's picture and copy the relevant bits of it to and print it on an A4 page. Here's one mocked up. Of course you could scale it to the size you want. Or use another graphic of Scot casualties. These could then be pasted onto MDF or cardboard:-

Edit. How about the Union cavalry casualty and the generic WW1 casualty. Could they proxy in with  a paint job?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

cameronian

21 March 2017, 08:15:00 AM #6 Last Edit: 21 March 2017, 09:49:54 AM by cameronian
I know the feeling, I've based up around 100 casualty bases for 1866/1870 using the AWI figures. With a bit of paint and even a blob of glue you really can't tell the difference. Alternatively if Leon and the boys are up to their oxters (scots: armpits  ;) ) then I think Steve from the Baggage Train would accept it as a commission - for a fee, of course. Alternatively alternatively, mod one figure and make a plaster mould like we did in the old days, it would be a breeze as the figure is essentially a flat with only one detailed side, make half a dozen moulds, probably get 10 - 15 figures per mould. I did it in the kitchen at home when I was an impecunious schoolboy, its fun and easy ... unless you forget to allow the plaster mould to dry COMPLETELY in which case the moulten lead will explode upwards through the pour hole possibly causing life altering injuries. Just saying.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Westmarcher

[If all else fails] I use dead and riderless horses for my ACW casualty markers. Works for both armies and all arms because most officers have horses.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 21 March 2017, 08:15:00 AM
I know the feeling, I've based up around 100 casualty bases for 1866/1870 using the AWI figures. With a bit of paint and even a blob of glue you really can't tell the difference. Alternatively if Leon and the boys are up to their oxters (scots: armpits  ;) ) then I think Steve from the Baggage Train would accept it as a commission - for a fee, of course.

Thanks Cam, I might try that course.  Curious about you using AWI casualty figures when there are ready made Austrian, Prussian, French and 'generic 19th century' (ie no headgear) casualties in the respective ranges.

Mollinary

cameronian

21 March 2017, 01:17:56 PM #9 Last Edit: 21 March 2017, 01:26:09 PM by cameronian
There weren't when I did it, only 1870 Prussians/French but with a bit of paint and static grass you can't tell. To paraphrase F Scott Fitzgerald, just bloody rugs.

Later; was double checking the FSFzG reference and I was struck once more by the extraordinary beginning to 'Tender is the Night', so incredibly percipient - IMHO.

"That's different. This western-front business couldn't be done again, not for a long time. The young men think they could do it but they couldn't. They could fight the first Marne again but not this. This took religion and years of plenty and tremendous sureties and the exact relation that existed between the classes. The Russians and Italians weren't any good on this front. You had to have a whole-souled sentimental equipment going back further than you could remember. You had to remember Christmas, and postcards of the Crown Prince and his fiancée, and little cafés in Valence and beer gardens in Unter den Linden and weddings at the mairie, and going to the Derby, and your grandfather's whiskers."
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

paulr

Incredibly pertinent indeed
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Westmarcher on 21 March 2017, 11:00:27 AM
[If all else fails] I use dead and riderless horses for my ACW casualty markers. Works for both armies and all arms because most officers have horses.

"Whoever saw a dead cavalryman?" ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data