Spring has sprung.

Started by d_Guy, 20 March 2017, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

My wife, a retired engineer, read a couple days ago that strange things can be done on the vernal equinox (today)

One was that a broom will stand vertically on its bristles. She selected a random broom and is now conducting an experiment:

She hypothesizes that this exact same broom will do the same thing tomorrow.

I discovered the experiment when I walked into the kitchen and had to ask why a broom was standing in the middle of the floor.

Some suggested responses
"It will stand tomorrow"
"It will not stand tomorrow"
"If you put it in a dark room and never open the door, it will be both standing and not standing"

Other responses are possible.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Bill.....You do realise that you'll need something along the lines of acetone to remove that from the floor.....Unless those are ceramic tiles.....You won't half make a mess.....'Cos they'll melt.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

My first thought was "what kind of glue did she use?"

Maybe, it's like Excaliber. If you can move the broom you get to be the President of the USA, or possibly just get to brush the kitchen.

Also, you obviously don't have cats/dogs/toddlers/teenagers or live in California.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My initial thought was "Lucky pick on that broom, an angled head and you would be sunk"!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Trusting soul that I am - I did not expect deceit. Of course after your note, Phil (and others raising similar questions) I got down on my boney knees and looked - no glue or other support I could detect.

Also no pets, kids, or earthquakes to disturb our contemplative existence - there are to workmen banging on a repair in the basement but they haven't been up - even if they did they would not disturb it - or even ask about it - they know us too well.

It yet stands - I want to see if it falls over at 12:00:01.

skywalker

Perhaps she is auditioning for the live action remake of The Sorcerers Apprentice  ;D ;D ;D

d_Guy

;D
As it happens yesterday afternoon she said, "you know what this looks like...."

Update:
It did not fall at midnight (local time).
She will put it away and replicate tomorrow and then one week hence - don't want to interpret data until we have it but
(MYTH BUSTED).

lowlylowlycook

Now you just have to make a giant broom and see if it will stand up in a rock quarry.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

having seen the title BOINGGGGGGGGGGG

I'll go peaceable.

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DanJ

QuoteMy wife, a retired engineer, read a couple days ago that strange things can be done on the vernal equinox (today)

One was that a broom will stand vertically on its bristles. She selected a random broom and is now conducting an experiment:

Personally I'd say that the experiment verified the hypothesis that strange things can happen on the Vernal Equinox.

1) It was the Vernal Equinox
2) The broom stood on it's bristles
3) This is strange

The fact the broom may be stood on its bristles on any other day, which would be equally strange, does not disprove the hypothesis.  If the Old Wives Tale hypothesis stated that the Vernal Equinox was the only day a broom could be stood on its bristles then achieving said broom verticality at any other time would disprove it.

My personal hypothesis is that the act of standing the broom on its bristles during the Vernal Equinox has imbued it with the mystical potential to achieve bristle based uprightness at any other time in the future.  However the wicked Autumnal Equinox may undo the good work of the Vernal Equinox, causing said broom to assume a more horizontal relationship with the floor, a sure sign that winter is on the way....

Or at least that's what the little men in the red pointy hats who gave me the mushrooms said.

d_Guy

;D ;D ;D
My wife agrees! You have indeed spotted a logical flaw in the experiment.
At first I thought your 1 and 2 were hoc propter hoc but as she pointed out you initially implied no relationship!
Your new mushroom induced hypothesis of course does. She will now place the experiment in abeyance due  to improper control.
The day after the Autuminal she will test again to see if your new hypothesis can be rejected.

Next year she will acquire a NEWLY made broom and test before, during and after the Vernal.

She wonders if you would be interested in co-authoring a paper?  :)

Orcs

After applying much logic and thought. I have come to the only possible conclusion:-

Your good lady is a "Witch"  I suggest you stay away from Salem  :D

I also suggest that you need to behave yourself otherwise you will be turned into a toad.  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

DanJ

QuoteMy wife agrees!

Your wife is obviously a very perspicacious lady and engineer.

QuoteAt first I thought your 1 and 2 were hoc propter hoc

I try and avoid such things, generally by not reading the Daily Mail.

I would indeed be interested in co-authoring a paper on the subject, however my small friends with the pointy red hats have pointed out that mushroom powered research is currently frowned upon by some of the more traditional journals and fell it likely that her reputation might suffer, not to mention many of her neurones.

d_Guy

Quote from: Orcs on 22 March 2017, 08:24:14 AM
After applying much logic and thought. I have come to the only possible conclusion:-

Your good lady is a "Witch"  I suggest you stay away from Salem  :D

I also suggest that you need to behave yourself otherwise you will be turned into a toad.  ;D

I know for a fact that she weighs more than a typical duck, so no worries in that regard.

She will however turn me into something if she learns I am discussing her weight in a public forum!   :o
We shall, therefore, skip over you post and move on to DanJ's

Dan, she will enjoy your complement, thanks.

I think that we all agree that the more lofty and hidebound journals (the ones that actual do peer review and insist on some evidence of reproducibility) would not be the sort we would look to. After all, the vast majority are great for padding CV's and in some fields entire careers can be built upon them.  :D

Say hello to the little guys for us.

Last Hussar

Your wife did this, and you didn't go for the suicide option...

"Why aren't you using it rather than do that?"

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry