My Ethiopians and their enemies (28mm)

Started by lowlylowlycook, 19 March 2017, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Thanks guys!

Got a package from the Perrys.  Now I'm scraping the puttees off their Italians to make some Patriots. 

Send help!

lowlylowlycook

On the left, three Italians that will be Ethiopian Patriots using captured equipment.  On the right 4 Senegalese that will be from the 2nd Ethiopian Btn.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

My FLGS managed to order some of Warlord's new Korean War Chinese so it's time to make someone for the Kagnew's to fight.

I'd like to get this horde done quickly so first some experiments:

I had Army Painter Sand Yellow and some Krylon Camo Sand primer.   Over these I put a few shades of Polyshades and AP washes.  Finally I tried some GW Contrast Paint.

Front row second from the left is Contrast Paint (over Nuln gloss over the Krylon).  Third from left is Strong Tone over the AP primer.  I think those are what I'm going for due to the "mustard" color and higher contrast than what the Polyshades gives.

In any case I've now primered a bunch of guys.

lowlylowlycook

Things are underway:

A closeup.  Skin has just a base coat and the fur hat's haven't yet been touched.

If you want to compare, the ones on yellow bases were done with AP primer and soft tone while the ones on pale bases were done with Contrast.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

sunjester

lowlylowlycook

Thanks guys.  I guess these guys are ready for varnish and basing.   They are not ready for their closeup.

paulr

Are you thinking about doing the bags and pouches a slightly different colour :-\

Or perhaps it doesn't show up in the pictures
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Normally I would but I'm trying to make this a quick project and art I've seen show the Chinese as pretty monochrome.   

lowlylowlycook

Techno

Looking very nice !

Did you use florescent lighting for the newest pic ?
Compared to the one above that, there seems to be a greenish 'tinge' to the flesh tones and uniforms.

They still look damn spiffy, though !!  8)

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

Yeah, it's a lighting problem.  The earlier pics are more accurate.