My Ethiopians and their enemies (28mm)

Started by lowlylowlycook, 19 March 2017, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

So Techno wants some honest painting?  Who am I to deny him?

Here is an artillery crew that I converted from someone's Indian crew with some Somali headswaps. Oh and I've used one of my excess Italian officers to lead them.  What I really need are some (or at least one) 19th century crew and also a mortar crew that I can fit into the Ethiopians. 

They are basecoated and I put in some shadows in the most recessed areas or as a bit of lining.  Their hair and skin will get a black wash and I've found that polyshades works well in picking out uniform details.   They'll probably sit around like this until I have a bigger batch ready for the polyshades.

Then again, these 1896 Askari's uniforms are almost white so I'll probably have to shade them by hand.  Might be a while before I'll have much to dip.

Techno

Look forward to seeing them progress.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Decided to neither wait or mess about with dips. That way I can get these guys based along with all my other painted Ethiopians.  Used and extra strong black wash on their hair and skin, GW washes elsewhere.  I used some watered down Nuln Oil on a the white trousers and it worked better than I expected.  maybe that would be a way to get these askari done quickly.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

lowlylowlycook

Based some arty crews.  The ones on the right I seem to remember being a British WW1 cavalry crew that I painted up as some Imperial Guard.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

d_Guy

Another nice looking result. Particularly like the blossoms on the bases!
Sleep with clean hands ...

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: d_Guy on 05 April 2017, 03:00:46 PM
Another nice looking result. Particularly like the blossoms on the bases!
They are yellow buttercup flowers from scenic express.  I cut them in three and use the two flowered ends and the middle bit as well.
Also, I've got good news.

These are mostly Copplstone Somalis

Somalis with guns.  These make good models for warriors with outdated weapons.  I used to be able to remember that mid game because they weren't based..

Some Officers and Nobles and musicians.  I think these are mostly Empress.  Possibly some Askari minis too.  The drummer behind the IG officer is one of my better paintjobs.  Not sure why he is hiding.

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton