My Ethiopians and their enemies (28mm)

Started by lowlylowlycook, 19 March 2017, 11:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

First, this web page (ww2 after ww2) is going to be very useful for deciding how to equip my Kagnews.  For instance they weren't supposed to be issued BARs but got some from the 7th infantry and loved using them.  In fact they kept using them back in Ethiopia even after they had M14s.

I found that while no one makes WW2 or Korean War recoilless rifles, they do make RRs for Vietnam and later conflicts. 

This is my basic reference pic

I think that this Vietnamese RR from West Wind is the closest I've seen:

Their US Marines RR seems to be a later version:

Elite Miniatures in Australia also make a nice vietmanese RR.  But they are in australia and their web shop's design makes it hard to share pics.  Perhaps an unwise decision for someone trying to sell the pretties...  (hmmm, it seems google can provide a direct link)

Speaking of pretty, this Eureka models is very, very nice but I think there are noticable differences between their Soviet weapon and the US ones.  In particular the breech lever is on top.

lowlylowlycook

Some progress on the cavalry

Need to do something better with the Ras (wearing the headdress)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Here are the ladies:

Did a bunch of webbing and metal bits on the Kagnews:

Got a package from Empress.  The minis were well protected because they seem to be in OK shape despite the box looking like it had been used for bedding in a raccoon next for at least a week. 

As usual Empress's minis are great. So I immediately got out the jewelers saw mangled them.  Here is the result:

In front, Askari that have been turned into some Ethiopian Imperial Guard.  In back British WW1 cav that have been given fezes. 

I still need to make some feathers for the Falcos.

lowlylowlycook

Put some non-green paint on the Kagnews and also did a wash on their uniforms and webbing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

All looking great, I think this project is brilliant
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno

lowlylowlycook

Thanks guys.  You are always a great source of motivation.

Did the rest of the head swaps for the Penne de Falco.  At first I was upset that I was missing an arm for these guys but then it dawned on me
that I needed a different pose or something for their leader.  Found that a US Civil War Zouve arm fit OK and could be made to hold a lance.

I think the line infantry for the Kagnews.  Maybe I should do a highlight on their skin?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

lowlylowlycook

A first attempt at adding the Penne using bits of expanded plastic.

They flex a bit but I'd be happier if I could pin them in somehow.

Techno

Steve J

"They flex a bit but I'd be happier if I could pin them in somehow."

Could you drill a hole in the hat for part of it to sit into? That would make them a lot more secure. Hope this helps?

lowlylowlycook

Moving on to the HQ and weapon teams, I've got a basecoat, shade and highlight done on the uniforms.

Top is a Machine gun team (their camo helmets have been swapped out), a forward observer team (will be painted up as Americans), a flame thrower team, and an extra guy with a walkie talkie.
Bottom is a mortar team with spotter, bazooka team and the Ethiopian Lieutenant (with the tommy gun) with an US adviser (using the binoculars).