Which German flag?

Started by Leon, 19 March 2017, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which German flag should be used for the German army lists in the new BKCIII rules?

Iron Cross Emblem
12 (63.2%)
Pre-War National Flag used until 1935
0 (0%)
Unofficial Flag with emblem
1 (5.3%)
Made up Iron Cross Flag
6 (31.6%)
Post-War Flag
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: 22 March 2017, 09:54:45 PM

FierceKitty

A Jewish friend realised he was whistling the Horst-Wessel Lied walking down the road in Berlin recently. He is most amused remembering the looks he got.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mollinary

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 March 2017, 11:37:25 AM
A Jewish friend realised he was whistling the Horst-Wessel Lied walking down the road in Berlin recently. He is most amused remembering the looks he got.

I am amazed he could find anyone who would recognise it.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

Prefer the 'Panzerlied' myself, Boys, too many boys ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

Make something illegal, and it acquires a mystique. The same with murder. Look at arson. I mean to say, who of us can honestly say that he hasn't, at one time or another, set fire to some great public building?....

Though I suppose in Germany the rules may be a bit different.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

As you know we have a similar problem with the Battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.
It has been co-opted by many groups in many ways. As an Adult I have mixed feelings about it.
As Kitty says, to proscribe anything only empowers it.

As an amateur (very) historian - nothing in history should be unmentionable.

Leon had a commercial consideration and has made the logical choice.

Incidently for a sixteen year old boy. The Nazis had great uniforms, songs, and symbols - that was the point - after all  who are the soldiers,
Sleep with clean hands ...

OldenBUA

Another vote for Grumpy.

But please note it's called a Balkenkreuz.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

KTravlos

beyond the moral issues, the commercial issue is serious. German customcs have been known to refuse entry to boardgames with Nazi symbols. Pendraken would lose money.

SV52

Presumably the real bad actors, the SS, will still get their Sig runes?  Wanna ban something...
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sandinista

Commercial considerations make sense, I'd overlooked that side of it.

Cheers
Ian

PFuentes

Today I recieved my copy and I noticed an issue with the Spanish flag. You used the monarchic flag, adopted in 1977 after Franco's death. I would be more accurate to use the fascist flag adopted officially after the SCW or if you want to avoid political issues as you made with the german flag, a the yellow and red flag with no simbols.

I really like the collors and desig of the army lists section, congrats! ;)

Panzer-Kalle

Flag 3 Unofficial flag with emblem a pre-war style not used offically but still recognisable as Germay!

Just to say it- this is the official ministration flag of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland to be found today at every  federal officebuilding!   ;D

Cheers Kalle

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 March 2017, 01:00:15 PM
Make something illegal, and it acquires a mystique. The same with murder. Look at arson. I mean to say, who of us can honestly say that he hasn't, at one time or another, set fire to some great public building?....

Stop quoting Monty Python at ME....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

18 May 2017, 09:32:21 AM #28 Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 09:50:48 AM by Orcs
Quote from: Sandinista on 20 March 2017, 08:45:24 AM
As much as I hate the Nazis, why not use the flag they used?

Seems odd to me that we want to play with the model tanks of the Third Reich, but the flag is a no no. Our games represent people being killed but a wonky cross is beyond the pale, seems quite mad.

Cheers
Ian

I totally agree. The swastika was a religious symbol taken by the Third Reich.  I am fairly certain its still used in its original form for some Indian Religions.

This political correctness really annoys me.  Its what happened historically.  

Surely if you can't have a swastika you cant wear stripy clothes as that's what they dressed the inmates of the concentration camps in.  

But if we can't have the real thing then the Balkenkruz
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Correct me if I'm wrong.....Which I probably am.  :-[

But I thought the 'arms' on the original 'religious' swastika went in the opposite direction to the Nazi one.  :-\

Cheers - Phil