Which German flag?

Started by Leon, 19 March 2017, 09:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which German flag should be used for the German army lists in the new BKCIII rules?

Iron Cross Emblem
12 (63.2%)
Pre-War National Flag used until 1935
0 (0%)
Unofficial Flag with emblem
1 (5.3%)
Made up Iron Cross Flag
6 (31.6%)
Post-War Flag
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: 22 March 2017, 09:54:45 PM

Leon

BKCIII will have the national flags of the various nations included in the army lists, but obviously this presents a slight problem with the German lists.  The Swastika clearly cannot be used, so which alternative option would people prefer?

1. Iron Cross Emblem - Not a flag as such, but still a recognisable emblem.

2. Pre-War National Flag used until 1935 - Dropped in 1935 in favour of the swastika design.

3. Unofficial Flag with Emblem - A pre-war style, not used officially but still recognisable as Germany.

4. Made up Iron Cross Flag - An alternative on the swastika flag but with an Iron Cross in its place instead.

5. Post-War Flag - Not accurate for WWII but known as the modern day German flag.

We've only got a couple of days to decide on this, so add your votes quickly!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello Leon

I'd go for emblem 1 if you're covering German armies for WW1, Interwar and WW2.

If you're only looking at WW2 what about the Balkankreuz -

Still recognisable.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Westmarcher

If flags were included in BKCII, what was the German flag?

And besides, why feel it necessary to include flags?

[Didn't vote but GrumpyOldMan's suggestion seems reasonable]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

d_Guy

Not my gaming area but I like flags of all types. Agree also, the Balkankreuz is very recognizable
And not overtly political.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

+1 for Grumpy

Your 'made up' flag is very close to the German Naval flag of the time, with the offensive symbol replaced. It is just missing the 'Iron cross'  in the top left.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsmarine#/media/File%3AWar_ensign_of_Germany_(1938-1945).svg
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Change my vote to Grumpy's please?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

19 March 2017, 11:16:27 PM #7 Last Edit: 19 March 2017, 11:28:34 PM by Westmarcher
Perhaps worthwhile finding out what others are doing. For example (and re-inforcing opinion so far), the Balkankreuz is also used in the highly successful computer game, Combat Mission.This appears against the Axis force when you are asked to decide which side to choose before playing any mission.

(Link to the latest WW2 of the genre - Final Blitzkrieg - on their website below)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=347&Itemid=609

[sorry, should point out that you need to download any of the free WW2 demo games to see what I'm saying. The link is only for Final Blitzkrieg, The Battle of the Bulge game]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

Balkankreuz is what I'm used to in computer games so I think GOM's suggestion is a good one.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Kiwidave

+1 for Grumpy / Balkankreuz

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

fsn

Another vote for team Grumpy!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sandinista

As much as I hate the Nazis, why not use the flag they used?

Seems odd to me that we want to play with the model tanks of the Third Reich, but the flag is a no no. Our games represent people being killed but a wonky cross is beyond the pale, seems quite mad.

Cheers
Ian

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Sandinista on 20 March 2017, 08:45:24 AM
As much as I hate the Nazis, why not use the flag they used?

Seems odd to me that we want to play with the model tanks of the Third Reich, but the flag is a no no. Our games represent people being killed but a wonky cross is beyond the pale, seems quite mad.

Cheers
Ian
Is it because it's illegal in certain countries? And Leon wants multinational sales...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

I knew you could get into trouble with the law in Germany. Have now found out that public displays of the swastika will also get you in trouble with the law in Austria (obvious, when you think of Germany), Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and Brazil.  :-B