Things I have learnt by watching Vikings

Started by Orcs, 19 March 2017, 06:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

Quote from: Leman on 19 March 2017, 10:11:02 AM
The Saxons at this time differentiated themselves by wearing different helmet styles, wearing different armour styles, carrying different styles of shields, thus each kingdom presented a uniform appearance.

The kingdom of Wessex invented the C16th burgonet in the mid-C9th.

Yes, the different uniforms for the Saxons is pretty grating. But it does at least let you know which faction is which, a thing that TV dramas are big for, Game of Thrones does a similar thing, but gets away with a bit more due being fantasy.

At least with the actual Vikings they have gone for a style, but then mixed it up between individuals (apart from the shields!)

All this said I'm really enjoying it as a series - started watching around Christmas, and am now most of the way through the first part of Series 4 (I don't quite understand why series 4 has double the number of episodes, without it being series 4, and series 5).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Sorry Mick I did say I was half way through Series 4,initially.  I don't think I have given much of the actual plot away.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

Quote from: Subedai on 19 March 2017, 07:43:25 PM
Talk about bl**dy spoilers! I'm only on the fourth episode of Series 1 -now that it's on Freeview- so now all my fun has been spoilt by you lot! You could have put a warning label up first.

Yours

MickS (A disappointed Vikings watcher).

Not to worry, Mick. For guys like me who know a little about Dark Age history, I kinda know what's going to happen next - despite that it's interesting for me to find out how the writer is going to include (or distort this) within the story. Still enjoyable as far as I'm concerned despite all of the other 'Hollywood' shortcomings.

(e.g., I live relatively close to Dumbarton Rock in Scotland. A viking force led by Ivar the Boneless besieged the fortress there in 870 AD. I wonder if that episode will be included in a future season?)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

IIRC - the companion series - "the making of The Vikings" or such like,  had an episode where they were following Ivar around and prehaps found his burial place. They spent a bit of time at Dumbarton Rock (which is dang impressive BTW) and Ivar's siege. Strategically he had to control it for his invasion of Ireland.

The time they spent there convinced me that it would be part of season 5 (which actually seems like it should be 6 given the weird splitting of season 4)

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Must admit that, despite its historical shortcomings, I have watched it avidly on Amazon as it's damn fine storytelling. I just treat it as if I was sitting at the fire in a great hall listening to a saga.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Gosh, this thread is so much more fun than 'sorry, it's just not for me.' Shan't be going there again.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

I didn't really think that the clothing issues would be that important to the show, at least the idea of horned helmets have gone the way of the Dodo. (I wonder where that originated from...anyone know?)

As a famous newspaper person of questionable morality is reputed to have once said 'Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?'.

Don't worry, it's my fault, I didn't realise until just now that I hadn't put a :) at the end. I will still carry on with watching and are categorising it under 'Rollicking good yarn'.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

DanJ

QuoteI will still carry on with watching and are categorising it under 'Rollicking good yarn'

I haven't seen any Vikings yet, mostly because we don't have Skye or whatever channel it's on but I'd mentally classed it as 'Primary Source Material', along with Kelly's Heroes, Sharpe and the whole Asterix cannon.   

toxicpixie

Quote from: Subedai on 20 March 2017, 07:26:37 PM
I didn't really think that the clothing issues would be that important to the show, at least the idea of horned helmets have gone the way of the Dodo. (I wonder where that originated from...anyone know?)

It'll be the bl**dy Victorians again.

And yes, the Saxon "uniforms" grated, but I'm also willing to overlook it for the rather good story it's telling. Think of it as modern myth, like a Saga and such conceits just drop away :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Malbork

Not quite sure what series I'm up to, somewhere in 3 I think, but I agree with Leman;

Take it as a saga and the problems disappear. :)

Ithoriel

Quote from: DanJ on 21 March 2017, 12:32:56 PM
I haven't seen any Vikings yet, mostly because we don't have Skye or whatever channel it's on but I'd mentally classed it as 'Primary Source Material', along with Kelly's Heroes, Sharpe and the whole Asterix cannon.   

The Asterix books were on my university Archaelogy course Required Reading list. Prof Piggot reckoned it gave the best depiction of real druids available at the time!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN