ACW Help wanted!

Started by fsn, 18 March 2017, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

OK chaps, here's the gen.

Your truly was out in Liverpool at the Cozy Club, and was boasting that this Forum could quite easily identify these three officers whose pictures were printed on the menu.

I think they're all ACW, I think the first is Meade and the last is Hood , Longstreet, Tom Berenger, Beardy McBeardface or my favorite Stonewall Jackson. No idea about the middle one. Is is Gen Thomas? (Who I've never heard of, but looks a bit like this chap.) 

Please let me have your thoughts. It's not for me, it's for the honour (even 'honor') of the Forum.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

When did a Colonel cost more than a Brigadier!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

T13A

Hi FSN

I'm pretty sure you are correct about the left one being General George Gordon Meade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Meade) who beat R E Lee at Gettysburg and also the middle one, General George Henry Thomas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas), 'the Rock of Chickamauga' who was actually from Virginia but stayed with the Union when that state succeeded. He also commanded the Union forces at the battle of Nashville against Hood towards the end of 1864. The one on the right I'm pretty sure is Stonewall Jackson.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

Indeed, they are (l to r) Meade, Thomas and Jackson.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

mollinary

Agreed with those three - Mead, Thomas, Stonewall Jackson.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Agree with Leman and Mollinary
Mead, Thomas (although Grant maybe?), but I surely recognize another good old WEST Virginia boy in Jackson.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

The wavy quiff is the giveaway that it's Thomas, the Rock of Chickamauga, and a Virginian to boot, much to the chagrin of the rest of his family.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Feeback from my fellow diners.

They were very pleased that I could not only name the chaps, but give potted biographies ... and also slightly saddened at the same time.

Thank you all.