Hitler speaking

Started by Luddite, 16 March 2017, 11:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

16 March 2017, 11:27:21 PM Last Edit: 16 March 2017, 11:32:11 PM by Luddite
Very interesting.  A recording of Adolf Hitler talking (outside of his ranting speeches).  Discussing the German's surprise and amazement at the power of Russia.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

FierceKitty

"Not much fun in Stalingrad, no...."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Fascinating recording, Luddite. I read the Wikipedia page on this meeting to get a sense of the context (they say June 4, 1942). If that was all you knew about Hitler he comes across as a calm, rational human with some strategic sense (although he does a good deal of blame shifting and does not seem a good listener). Given what he knows already about the dangers of the Eastern front one wonders why he chose to keep churning away on the offense.

I leave this last to those who actually know something about WW2.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

cameronian

Watch the video of Hitler meeting Mannerheim in the railway sidings. It is the first and only time I have ever seen Hitler show deference to another head of state. Mannerheim was a truly great man.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

toxicpixie

17 March 2017, 09:10:23 AM #4 Last Edit: 17 March 2017, 09:12:21 AM by toxicpixie
QuoteGiven what he knows already about the dangers of the Eastern front one wonders why he chose to keep churning away on the offense.

They'd locked themselves into it, no way to disengage by then either psychologically or physically. And even if they'd wanted to (or been mentally able to, might be better), I'm unconvinced the Russians would have let them. At least not without a jaunt west. Also, "just one more push..." is a mentality that has dragged many a better man/army/nation to their grave.

Hitler sounds quite in control, but then they do say he was mercurial - calm and rational when needed, then exploding when he wanted to frighten and intimidate then onto inspiring when wanting to buck people up. And I guess by stage he hasn't quite cowed everyone enough to be directing company level actions and demanding huge penis-replacement tanks that German industry can't build...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sandinista

Death was too good for the fascist c***

Cheers
Ian

Westmarcher

Still comes across as a nut job.  >:(
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

cameronian

Quote from: Sandinista on 17 March 2017, 09:29:41 AM
Death was too good for the fascist c***

Cheers
Ian

Agreed, along with Lenin, Stalin, Beria, Molotov, Mao, Hugo Chavez and a million other murdering leftist scum. Just saying.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

toxicpixie

Wow. Attitudes like that are why we still need to fight the fascists. Tony Benn was right, as usual.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

24 March 2017, 10:39:45 AM #9 Last Edit: 24 March 2017, 10:53:11 AM by FierceKitty
Can't we just agree that murderous dictators and book-burning fanatics are bad guys, whichever wing they claim to fly with?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

Probably hard when you can't tell fascist dictator from people who brought you paid holidays and health care!

cameronian

Quote from: toxicpixie on 24 March 2017, 12:05:14 PM
Probably hard when you can't tell fascist dictator from people who brought you paid holidays and health care!

That was Bismarck, keep up FFS

toxicpixie

24 March 2017, 01:18:33 PM #12 Last Edit: 24 March 2017, 01:22:44 PM by toxicpixie
That's the social democrats (left wingers) who forced those concessions out the right wing autocrats. Just like always. Awful people, seeking an equitable society.

Anyway, I'm going to follow Kitty's example and decry all the murdering autocrats what ever language they look themselves in.

"King and country". "Will of the people". "In the name of god".

cameronian

Anyway, I'm going to follow Kitty's example and decry all the murdering autocrats what ever language they look themselves in.

Agreed, but you'll probably find a note of exculpation creeping in when the left start discussing Stalin (necessary to defeat Hitler etc etc) or the bread wars, or the forcible collectivisations etc etc. Scruton as always is bang on the money here - https://life.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/russian-way-lying/

toxicpixie

I'm unconvinced Stalin has any left wing credentials, being as he was a paid agitator for the Tzarist security services who found himself at the right place to make himself king in all but name...