Peter Pig 15mm Marines for Britton Publishers SOF Warrior

Started by bigjackmac, 16 March 2017, 02:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Well, if you're looking at (one of) my blog(s), you probably realize I'm a huge fan of Ivan Sorensen's 5Core series of rulesets; at last count I've played almost 200 fights using them.  But recently I wanted to play some games of elite troops against waves of low quality bad guys, and so I looked in on Ben Lacy's "SOF Warrior" set of rules, and I'm loving them.  They're a bit grittier than my normal style, but I've streamlined some of the various modifiers and, more importantly, with a few games under my belt it's all getting pretty familiar to me.  In any case, the activation system works really well for the type of fight I'm looking for, so I plan to keep going with them.  I'm so committed to continuing with these that I bought some new troops just to play these rules.

Now you're probably wondering, 'Jack, what the hell are you talking about, new troops just to play these rules?'  Well, I'm glad you asked ;)  In this game 'posture' is important to the game: your troops can be prone, kneeling, standing, moving, crouching, etc...  Now, there are other rules that do this as well, and whether playing these or those, most sane folks will choose to use chits/markers to show their figures' postures.  But me, I wanted to go a bit further, so I went and bought some more Peter Pig modern US Marines suited to the task.  I have a total of eight troops, and each 'man' has five separate figures to represent him on the tabletop: each man has a standing and moving guy, a standing and shooting guy, a kneeling and shooting guy, a prone guy, and a casualty figure.

Again, you don't have to do this to play these rules, and even so, I still don't have everything (I could use a crouching and moving figure, and a prone crawling figure for everyone), but it will have to do.

Here's the whole mess, a total of forty figures to put eight dudes on the board ;)
There are two four-man fireteams, each with a team leader with M-16, an automatic rifleman with SAW, a scout with M-16 an ACOG, and an assistant automatic rifleman with M-16.  1st team has black helmets, 2nd team has tan, and everyone is wearing black baklavas and yellow boots and gloves, which makes them look a lot more uniform than my intent.  Every guy in each team has a different base uniform color, and two of each four-man team is wearing a camo uniform, but there the uniqueness ends.  I tried my usual three-different skin tones, but it really didn't work with the black baklavas, so everyone's looking a bit pink.

A Designated Marksman with ACOG.  To see more pics, please visit the blog at:
link

That's it for now, we'll see if I can't get some gaming in this weekend.

V/R,
Jack

petercooman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner