British Airborne Polsten Gun - 28mm

Started by jfariahitech, 15 March 2017, 12:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

DFlynSqrl

That basing is really fantastic!  And the camo too.

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

DanJ

Lovely model, but every time I see a picture of a polstern canon I can't help but wonder what it was used for, officially it was an AA weapon, but I always think it would have been more useful as a VERY heavy machine gun.

fred.

The British didn't seem to make a lot of use of their AA guns in a ground role, there are a few examples, but it seems nowhere near as many as the Germans.

Perhaps as they weren't need in the AA role late war, the crews were sent off to do something more useful.

I have read in a memoir (may well be about 52nd Mountain Div - who where an airlanding formation!) that they got a 20mm polstern into the second floor of a house, but the vibration from firing caused a lot of problems.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

Quote from: fred. on 15 March 2017, 08:28:04 PM
The British didn't seem to make a lot of use of their AA guns in a ground role, there are a few examples, but it seems nowhere near as many as the Germans.

Perhaps as they weren't need in the AA role late war, the crews were sent off to do something more useful.

I have read in a memoir (may well be about 52nd Mountain Div - who where an airlanding formation!) that they got a 20mm polstern into the second floor of a house, but the vibration from firing caused a lot of problems.

I can't remember where, but i once read that this was because the mounts couldn't stand up to firing when levelled horizontally. (i think it was for the bofors) The design was not strong enough so that the pressure was too big when firing at ground level.

If someone can quote me that somewhere, please do!!

fred.

I've heard that about the heavy AA guns.

I was actually meaning the vibration causing problems to the house (I think a house already damaged by bombing/shelling)!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts