Sorry, just not for me.

Started by fsn, 15 March 2017, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

How dare you?! I've got a fine set of wild west figures and buildings, and any month now I'll get around to writing the rules and actually use them. Why, it might be before the end of the year!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

I'm guessing you don't mean before the end of this Thai year ;D ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

More like a traditional Hindu great year (I think they're about 40, 000 solar years).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

22 March 2017, 07:36:42 AM #108 Last Edit: 22 March 2017, 07:41:14 AM by fsn
This thing about rules interests me in the same way as watching people watch football (soccer) interests me. I cannot understand the enthusiasm but am intrigued by it.

I should lay my cards on the table - as a solo gamer of many years good standing, my rules are my rules. They have been "developed" from War Games by Donald Featherstone, with accretions from other sets I've read and liked. They're not comprehensive, because as player 1, player 2 and umpire I can make an arbitrary decision without having to consult table 14 on page 162.

For more social gamers the rules are obviously far more important. If you collect, paint and base a couple of armies for a particular ruleset and then nobody in the club likes it ... ouch!  Not so much cart and horse as chicken and egg?

I like this thread. It makes me think. I wonder if there's a psychological paper in it?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

I'm pretty much in the same situation, fsn.
I really don't want to do any more rules (but want and need are two different thing)
I have reacently taken up HOTT - mainly because I like what your can do with it). Other then doing some scenario design with it - I will play "as written" and stick with the 2.1 version. This is the only rules set that I am starting to use that there is a remote chance I might play with other humans - so no mods.

All my bigger M&P battles are done in Baroque - excellent play mechanisms (have added some modifications).

Very much like One Hour Wargames ( have picked up mods from Norm and added a few of my own). The Pike and Shot rules (modified to the Celtic Fringe) are great for doing campaign elements to my larger battles.

I continue with my own rules for skirmishes and other small actions within the context of my Celtic Fringe obsession. These are heavily based on Flashing Steel (Ganesha Games).

When I add a sail component I have decided to use Galleons&Galleons (because I know the Ganesha mechanisms).

I will keep buying and looking at rules BUT no more switching! Just won't do it it.
Will steal mechanisms I like, however. For example, Regiment of Foote (2) has a terrain mechanism I REALLY like.

I hope to be doing FPW in 2020 - I will use BBB - because I like all the BatReps and pics I've seen - and Chris frequents this board!  :D

Oh! fsn - regarding your small note at the end - you could consider joining the "Standing Broom" research group.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Derek H

Quote from: fsn on 21 March 2017, 07:01:14 PM
What I was pondering was did a particularly good ruleset drive one to buy figures, or would the lack of a good ruleset preclude one from buying figures.

For me, both of the above. 

Chris Pringle

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 March 2017, 02:05:36 PM
I hope to be doing FPW in 2020 - I will use BBB - because I like all the BatReps and pics I've seen - and Chris frequents this board!  :D

... frequently enough to merit a captaincy, apparently!

FPW is what BBB was first created for, so I'd like to think it does a reasonable job. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

urbancohort

Returning to the original thread for a while, in a non-judgemental or critical fashion:
Not interested at all;
Fantasy/D&D/Sci-fi and VBCW. Personally don't see the appeal when you have so many real historical periods with arcane and bizarre units and strange happenings such as arrow 'machine' guns and Pyrhagorus defences of Syracuse, or the pagan Saxon Wars where a king once attacked monks as wizards who invoked the gods against him couldn't claim non-combatant rights! VBCW - probably just uncomfortable qith it as my parents teenagers before WW2 and know what civil wars do (I don't have any consistency, I know!)

Probably not interested in;
WW2 but could take interest in 'fall of France' period. Odd really, as a kid Airfix WW2 was my main figure collection
Napoleonic ditto above, poss could be interested in Waterloo as stand alone
Non-European involvement; samurai; meso American;
Medieval from 900-1600

Not commenting at all on these negatively. They just don't float my boat.

LOVE:
Ancient - Romans all eras; Biblicals; sub-Roman Europe/ Byzantium
Dark Ages - Sort of interested in Anglo Saxon kingdoms.
Renaissance - ECW, TYW, LoA
18th Century - AWI
19th Century - Crimea; ACW, FPW and defo colonial
20th - WW1; Falklands; Arab Israeli; Vietnam; modern and looking forwards to Korea. Civil/military interface, riots and insurgency.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....