Sorry, just not for me.

Started by fsn, 15 March 2017, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

In my solo games, I have yet to understand how it is I always lose. It is ias if my opponent can read my mind!   :-  :- :-

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

This is more on the modeling side of things but I think I'd be pretty reluctant to start up an army that required camo patterns. 

In my mind camouflage and the techniques used to make minis stand out are directly opposed and I'm not at a point where I think I could really combine them.

Westmarcher

Quote from: mollinary on 20 March 2017, 10:30:21 PM
In my solo games, I have yet to understand how it is I always lose. It is ias if my opponent can read my mind!   :-  :- :-

You think that's a problem? Have you ever tried a solo multi-player game?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Quote from: Westmarcher on 20 March 2017, 10:46:09 PM
You think that's a problem? Have you ever tried a solo multi-player game?
Easy:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

@LLC I feel the same way about tartan, but we do what we must do.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Chad

I am happy to use 'odd' figures occasionally but only when I want to try a new set of rules. It avoids investing in figures if I find I just don't like the rules. If I recall the only argument in favour of games such as vikings vs assyrians was that weaponry had not changed significantly to make a difference. That sort of game used to appear a lot in competitions using WRG rules. Definitely not for me.

fsn

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 20 March 2017, 10:38:34 PM
In my mind camouflage and the techniques used to make minis stand out are directly opposed and I'm not at a point where I think I could really combine them.
Interesting point - along with d_Guy's note about tartan. I must confess as a good Scotsman, I feel the same. My Napoleonic British Army is probably not going to have Highlanders unless a) I really, really have to to preserve what passes in my mind as valid historical representation or b) I learn to paint, which after 50 years or so isn't likely.

If I may, I'm going to categorise these with my dislike of irregulars under the "don't fancy painting that" catgeory.

Also interested in Chad's take about rules. If I may paraphrase (and possibly misrepresent) your interest is partially driven by the rule set?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

I bought my highlanders from Mr Harwood, and he had painted the tartan on in an 'impressionistic' way.

Looks sketchy when you look at it per model, but surprisingly well when seen from a distance on the table.
Maybe we all want to paint stuff too much 'lifelike', and we should look more for 'what works'!

Westmarcher

Quote from: petercooman on 21 March 2017, 08:13:28 AM

Looks sketchy when you look at it per model, but surprisingly well when seen from a distance on the table.
Maybe we all want to paint stuff too much 'lifelike', and we should look more for 'what works'!

Agree. For example, I wish I could paint like Brent Oman, author of Field of Battle. He uses a slightly impressionistic style which I kind of railed against when I first saw it, but which I now admire for its artistry and effect (see link below).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3NvpeaAy7YI/TvPnKsPf8uI/AAAAAAAAAt0/TGKk3rGZ78A/s1600/DSCN2976.JPG
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

Those look very nice indeed!

Chad

FSN

I would not say driven by the rule set, more a precautionary stage. I am presently working on the French Revolution and before starting looked at various sets of rules whose authors claimed they would do the job. In the game scale I wanted to do, none were suitable. So I am adapting a set for the period. Also am looking at Mexican-American War. Again I have rules that are designed specifically for the period and others that have templates for variations to the basic rule set. I may or may not run a few games with 'odd' figures to see how they work.

Chad

PS Game scale also impacts investment and painting time. At my age that is also a factor I have to consider.

paulr

Without 'suitable' rules for a period and region you will tend to be a collector rather than a gamer :-\

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

What I was pondering was did a particularly good ruleset drive one to buy figures, or would the lack of a good ruleset preclude one from buying figures.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Chad

Paul

I am not sure how you reach that conclusion. Investing in figures before trying rules is like putting the cart before the horse.
This is why I will use whatever figures I have available to try rules and once I feel happy that those rules give me a good game, I will invest my pension in figures. There are no rules to game the French Revolution at the scale I want regardless of what several authors told me before I purchased them. Only option do my own.

Subedai

Quote from: fsn on 21 March 2017, 07:01:14 PM
What I was pondering was did a particularly good ruleset drive one to buy figures, or would the lack of a good ruleset preclude one from buying figures.

Interesting point. My philosophy has always been figures first then I will find or adapt a set of rules. I go for the period and the look of the thing rather than the minutiae of different base sizes. If the rules say base sizes are immaterial then I will give them a go, if not I will move on.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

paulr

Quote from: Chad on 21 March 2017, 07:04:38 PM
Paul

I am not sure how you reach that conclusion. Investing in figures before trying rules is like putting the cart before the horse.
This is why I will use whatever figures I have available to try rules and once I feel happy that those rules give me a good game, I will invest my pension in figures. There are no rules to game the French Revolution at the scale I want regardless of what several authors told me before I purchased them. Only option do my own.

What I was trying to say, humorously, was that without suitable rules figures can tend to sit unused while we search for suitable rules, modify rules or write our own. As you say putting the cart before the horse
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!