First Two Old Glory 10mm Napoleonic Battalions

Started by bigjackmac, 14 March 2017, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

As I mentioned, no gaming this past weekend, but I was pretty productive in terms of cleaning stuff up, painting, and basing, and other than the completed stuff I'm posting, I also moved down the road a ways in terms of getting a lot of other stuff done as well.  I keep dreaming of Napoleons; I bought a slew in 10mm, painted by someone else, based for brigade-level games (like Blucher, Volley and Bayonet, Grand Armee, etc...), then determined that really wasn't the type of game I was looking for (if anyone is interested in these Napoleonics: http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/12/10mm-napoleonic-french.html and http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/12/napoleonic-coalition-forces.html , please let me know.  Note, these have almost entirely been re-based for 12 infantry  and three cavalry per stand).  Then I bought a slew of Baccus 6mm Napoleonics, painted some, but ultimately bogged down and sold them off.  Well, I hopped in again, of course.  Next month will be a full year ago that I bought a slew in 10mm Napoleonics from Connie and Russ over at OG 25s.

Well, suffice to say, I'd gotten some stuff done, but not a whole lot...  But, having seen Steve on his "Sound Officers Call" blog cavorting about, having a good time playing some Black Powder (http://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2017/03/friday-night-naps.html) has spurred me to action, and so I got busy to painting and basing.  I painted up a total of six French and one Austrian battalions, and decided to base one of each up to see how they'd look; that was actually part of the problem.  Part of my sluggishness was regarding the issue of basing.  I had planned on going with big, 80-man battalions, but I saw Steve's basing up of 40-man battalions and figured that would work just fine.  So let's take a look.

One battalion each of French (left) and Austrians (right).  I love the Old Glory five-man strips, they're perfect for Napoleonics (for what I'm wanting to do).  But I hate painting the flags...  So, each battalion is four stands of ten men, with my stands being 30mm squares.  To see more pics, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2017/03/first-two-old-glory-10mm-napoleonic.html

I need to start knocking these infantry out, then move on to cavalry, then artillery (to include limbers), then command.  Damn, plenty of work to do, but I've got to get to it if I ever hope to actually play a damn game!  My plan it to do small chunks: six French infantry battalions, then six Austrian, followed by a couple cavalry regiments each, a couple artillery batteries each, and a couple command stands each.  That way I can at least MAYBE get a game in this decade.  The danger there is that I get enough done for a game and say hell with finishing up the rest!  Anyway, thanks for looking, and next up is some more modern troops.

V/R,
Jack

fred.

Looking good Jack

I assume the flags are cast on? Can they be cut off and replaced with paper ones, if painting them is a pain.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jambo1

Great work, I like the OG cast strips, they work well for some things. You are spot on about the flags, total pain. :)

Techno

Westmarcher

They look the business, Jack! Good choice of basing (although mine are 1 inch square) - as your blog shows, you can portray all four formations (line, square, march and attack columns) plus you should be able to fit 32 Pendraken figures (Leman and I can fit the same amount of SYW figures on a 1 inch square base) on the same size of base.

40 strong Old Glory units (or 32 Pendraken) instead of 80 also means you'll get your units on the table twice as fast!

Oh, and did I say you can also use that convention for Field of Battle 2nd edition ......... 

:-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

DFlynSqrl

d_Guy

BJM, very nice looking formations and beautifully painted. The strips of five from OG work really well for well dressed ranks. I use some OG to supplement my Pendraken ECW. Of course I carefully cut the strips into individual figures.  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

bigjackmac

Wow, thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words.

Yep, the flags are cast on, and (in my opinion) it would be more work to snip them off and replace them.  40-man units will go quicker, but the megalomaniac in my absolutely LOVES the idea of massive 80-man battalions ;) 

I'm actually worried I may end up re-basing them at some point in the future, once (if?) I get them finished...

V/R,
Jack

pierre the shy

Quote from: bigjackmac on 16 March 2017, 01:02:53 AM
Yep, the flags are cast on, and (in my opinion) it would be more work to snip them off and replace them.  40-man units will go quicker, but the megalomaniac in my absolutely LOVES the idea of massive 80-man battalions ;) 

I'm actually worried I may end up re-basing them at some point in the future, once (if?) I get them finished...

Very nice Jack - to me how you have based up the 5 man strips looks very effective.

no matter if you do 40 or 80 man units I doubt, given the quality of your painting and your high level of output, that the project will not be completed.

I should take some inspiration from this thread and push on with some of my currently slow moving projects now my backs slowly coming right again  ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

bigjackmac

Pierre,

Thanks man.  And while I might be somewhat productive, you only see what I actually finish, and not the various projects I've started and abandoned!  ;D

Good luck getting your stuff back in gear!

V/R,
Jack

Jesus

Really good. I bought old glory miniatures but I did not like them. Seeing yours, I've changed my mind.
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

Leman

I too like the Old Glory strips for SYW. All my Prussian musketeers are OG. However, I also like the different poses Pendraken do, so all my Austrians are Pendraken. Plus, of course, OG don't do Russians, French, British, Hanoverians. Still. I couldn't resist some of their cavalry and artillery.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

bigjackmac